ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Y-Splitter or Jumper Question  (Read 2516 times)

James Frattali

Y-Splitter or Jumper Question
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »

I have a small sound system for a band.  I am running a mono monitor setup powering four floor monitors, connected in parallel pairs at 4 Ohms per pair.  These are being powered by a single CS800 amplifier - one pair connected to amp channel A and one pair connected to amp channel B.  I am trying to decide between two ways to connect the mono monitor signal to the amp's two channels.  Method 1 - I can run a single balanced XLR cable from the monitor EQ output to the channel A input of the CS800 and then use a jumper between the amp's channel A input and the channel B input (Peavey calls this "Full Range Mono" in their manual.  I believe the two amp inputs, when connected this way, are in parallel and Peavey even refers to it as a Y-cord connection.  Method 2 - I can use an XLR Y-splitter right out of the monitor EQ output and then run from the two Y-Splitter outputs to the amp's channel A and channel B inputs.  Is there really any difference in these connection methods?  Which method is better?  What are the pros and cons of each?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Y-Splitter or Jumper Question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »

I have a small sound system for a band.  I am running a mono monitor setup powering four floor monitors, connected in parallel pairs at 4 Ohms per pair.  These are being powered by a single CS800 amplifier - one pair connected to amp channel A and one pair connected to amp channel B.  I am trying to decide between two ways to connect the mono monitor signal to the amp's two channels.  Method 1 - I can run a single balanced XLR cable from the monitor EQ output to the channel A input of the CS800 and then use a jumper between the amp's channel A input and the channel B input (Peavey calls this "Full Range Mono" in their manual.  I believe the two amp inputs, when connected this way, are in parallel and Peavey even refers to it as a Y-cord connection.  Method 2 - I can use an XLR Y-splitter right out of the monitor EQ output and then run from the two Y-Splitter outputs to the amp's channel A and channel B inputs.  Is there really any difference in these connection methods?  Which method is better?  What are the pros and cons of each?
Please change your username to be your full real name, per forum rules.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:06:40 AM »

For future reference, this would get more attention in the lounge. 

Signal wise I would think there is no difference.  In real world use I would connect to a single channel then jump it to the other.  This removes any possible problems associated with a Y cable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:06:40 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.