ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic sensing camera and spotlight  (Read 9806 times)

Ole J. Sjurdal

• Classic LAB
Automatic sensing camera and spotlight
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:57:19 PM »

Hello all,

I had a question from a customer that i need help solving. The customer is a school with lots of deaf people. For some of their rooms they need to be able to show the interpreter for the deaf on a screen. The interpeter might move a little so the system needs to work as an "Automatic followspot". One of the rooms has a stage and this room also needs a follow spot light  to be in sync with the camera.

Does anyone know a system like this? My customer has been in rooms with this equipment while travelling stateside but never thought about looking into what systems were used........

Ole   
-----------------------------------
Ole J. Sjurdal

God said "Let there be light"

Thus proving sound came before lights

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Automatic sensing camera and spotlight
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »

The interpeter might move a little

Not to over-simplify things but have you tried an "X" taped onto the floor and a confidence monitor for the interpreter?
This space for rent

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:19:15 PM »

Not to over-simplify things but have you tried an "X" taped onto the floor and a confidence monitor for the interpreter?

Lee makes a good point, no automation is normal the best automation in this case.

If you are dead set on auto follow, it is a thing, but it has never been particularly cheap or really all that good, check http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/7144-self-tracking-followspots.html for some more info.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »

I've worked with camera system that will track an IR emitter the 'target' wears and systems that will analyze the image and based on color, brightness and assumed possible movement try to keep the 'target' area you select in the center.  I've also worked with camera systems that go to different preset positions based on logic provided by an audio mixer.  They all have their pros and cons but one consideration might be just how much movement in involved.  If you have a camera that follows every little move then it may be constantly moving while if you allow some movement before the camera moves then would the interpreter's movement be enough to actually make much use of that?

Ole J. Sjurdal

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »

I've worked with camera system that will track an IR emitter the 'target' wears and systems that will analyze the image and based on color, brightness and assumed possible movement try to keep the 'target' area you select in the center.  I've also worked with camera systems that go to different preset positions based on logic provided by an audio mixer.  They all have their pros and cons but one consideration might be just how much movement in involved.  If you have a camera that follows every little move then it may be constantly moving while if you allow some movement before the camera moves then would the interpreter's movement be enough to actually make much use of that?

This is the system my customer is looking for. In normal settings the interpetor is standing still but in some situations he/she will walk around the stage and the camera has to follow......  Do you know what the system was? Brand and model? All I've found is http://www.autoauditorium.com/ and the site is a decade old.......
-----------------------------------
Ole J. Sjurdal

God said "Let there be light"

Thus proving sound came before lights

Mike Bianchi -- Foveal Systems

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 11:34:35 AM »

...  All I've found is http://www.autoauditorium.com/ and the site is a decade old.......

Mike Bianchi here, owner and operator of Foveal Systems which sells the AutoAuditorium System.
The first AutoAud installation was at IBM, Hawthorne NY in 2000; it ran until the end of 2012 when they moved
out of the building.  The most recent HiDef installation was installed in January 2012 in Banff Canada; demos on the
website.

The tracking camera subsystem may be overkill for the situation described, but contact me if you wish to discuss it further.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:36:09 AM by FovealSystems »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber