ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Inventory Managment for Production Company  (Read 10713 times)

Austin Aske

• Reign Audio
Inventory Managment for Production Company
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:21:16 AM »

Greetings,

I was wondering what you guys working in mid/large sized production companies are using to manage inventory. We are looking for something that can handle not only the inventory but also to help with allotting gear or busy weekends.

Thanks for any help.

- Austin

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Inventory Managment for Production Company
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »

Greetings,

I was wondering what you guys working in mid/large sized production companies are using to manage inventory. We are looking for something that can handle not only the inventory but also to help with allotting gear or busy weekends.

Thanks for any help.

- Austin

Check out Flex Rental Solutions. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Austin Aske

• Reign Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »

Check out Flex Rental Solutions.

Thanks for the info but Flex rental seems grat but probably more comber someand pricie for a company of our size to implement. We have been doing most of our tracking in a spread sheet but know here has got to be some other solutions out there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »

Greetings,

Thanks for any help.

- Austin

Manufacturers and software developers please read the rules regarding answering open-ended questions with pointers to your own product. 

It's not allowed here.  If someone asks specifically about your product, you may answer.

Thank you for your cooperation.
It's got electrolytes. 

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:50:22 AM »

Thanks for the info but Flex rental seems grat but probably more comber someand pricie for a company of our size to implement. We have been doing most of our tracking in a spread sheet but know here has got to be some other solutions out there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Austin, I've been looking for such a solution or several years. However, it appears that the jump from a spreadsheet with the inventory on it to the next step (show prep, pull sheets, gear tracking, availability, bar coding, etc.) is quite the monumental jump. I'm sending out at least 2 and usually 3 and 4 shows a week and I still can't justify many thousands of dollars in purchase, training, and weeks of changing the modus operandi of our shop to accommodate the new method. And even then, I still have a small problem of folks other than me loading the trucks and (not) checking the list, as we did this weekend when a truck I didn't load was missing some rigging. At least I was available to run it to them, but what if this show had been 8 hours away, as is the case occasionally....

Maybe some day...

Geri O

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »

Austin, I've been looking for such a solution or several years. However, it appears that the jump from a spreadsheet with the inventory on it to the next step (show prep, pull sheets, gear tracking, availability, bar coding, etc.) is quite the monumental jump. I'm sending out at least 2 and usually 3 and 4 shows a week and I still can't justify many thousands of dollars in purchase, training, and weeks of changing the modus operandi of our shop to accommodate the new method. And even then, I still have a small problem of folks other than me loading the trucks and (not) checking the list, as we did this weekend when a truck I didn't load was missing some rigging. At least I was available to run it to them, but what if this show had been 8 hours away, as is the case occasionally....

Maybe some day...

Geri O
RentalPoint has a hosted solution, billed monthly. Upgradeable packages (get the bits you need; don't need to buy the whole thing).  Might be worth at least a phone call.

jpk

Marc Hayes

• Top-Notch Productions, INC.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:50:21 PM »

Greetings,

Thanks for any help.

- Austin

Austin-
  I've been checking out "Production Assistant" for my company too.  Not as "pretty" to look at, but gets the job done and at a somewhat obtainable price point.  Lifetime upgrades too for no additional cost.  Thats a great perk. 

http://www.productionassistant.com.au/

-Marc

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:20:34 AM »

You may want to find out what SunBelt rental, Hertz, Enterprise use to maintain an inventory and schedule. 
If you find the vender than that vender would be able to change the model and place your needs into the database and contracts. 

Most likely these will be Oracle or Sequel server supported tool. 

These Relational databases would have Client data base tied to Inventory data base tied to show schedule and rented inventory to the show.   

Rental cars data base is a very good example.   Why re-invent the wheel,  Modify to fit the need is lower cost. 

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 01:26:57 PM »

You may want to find out what SunBelt rental, Hertz, Enterprise use to maintain an inventory and schedule. 
If you find the vender than that vender would be able to change the model and place your needs into the database and contracts. 

Most likely these will be Oracle or Sequel server supported tool. 

These Relational databases would have Client data base tied to Inventory data base tied to show schedule and rented inventory to the show.   

Rental cars data base is a very good example.   Why re-invent the wheel,  Modify to fit the need is lower cost.

The problem with "rental software" not built for the entertainment industry is much of it does not correctly package smaller items into larger "kits".

Think amp racks with PD, 4 amps, the case itself, etc. 

How about a standard audio work box?  There could easily be over a hundred discrete SKUs in the box. 

R2 is a good example of an Oracle based solution.  While it does support kits, it is still a difficult implementation. 

While R2 does a good job of multi-site management, you still have jump through hoops to make it do what you want it to do. 

My advice is forget anything not specifically designed for entertainment.  There are better solutions now than even 5 years ago.
It's got electrolytes. 

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »

Maybe some day...

Geri O

Bud, if you go inventory management, you have to go all in.

At Logic Systems, consoles get flipped, cases opened, and everything scanned.  Console, PSU cable, multipin fanout, comms handset/station. 

Impetus for that procedure was failure to include fanout for a show 3 hours away. 

Racks, stacks, and everything else gets scanned on the way to the truck and the order is "closed out" to ensure it all made on the truck. 

Each work box, including microphones, DIs, and everything in there (adapters, etc) get scanned each time.  Work boxes are dumped and rebuilt and scanned on a per-show basis. 

For anyone used to the A-rig, B-rig, C-rig model this is a huge step.

But in order to completely leverage inventory and cross-rent accurately, it's the only way to grow the business.  IOW, inventory management causes one to change the way things are done. 
It's got electrolytes. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.