ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the future of live audio training ?  (Read 8251 times)

Jerome Malsack

Re: the future of live audio training ?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »

Now start throwing in some Computer Operations training with backup.  Networking.  Cat 5 and 6 cable  Crimping and tool.  Fiber (single and multi).   Computer trouble shooting.  NAS.   OS X, Windows, Linux.   OS familiarization.  Dante, AES3/EBU, Ethernet.   wifi 2.4 and 5   

digital and you get the idea. 

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »

Simply brilliant!

Sure is.

Plus you get lower-level techs who you have trained as far as the basics plus your way of doing things. You probably also have a very clear picture of their work ethic, any personality quirks (positive and negative) and insights into any specialty interests or inate skills.

At the very least, you know that they know how to coil cable  ;-)
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »

Now start throwing in some Computer Operations training with backup.  Networking.  Cat 5 and 6 cable  Crimping and tool.  Fiber (single and multi).   Computer trouble shooting.  NAS.   OS X, Windows, Linux.   OS familiarization.  Dante, AES3/EBU, Ethernet.   wifi 2.4 and 5   

digital and you get the idea.
Recently came across this http://mastermixlive.com/. Any of you have experience with these guys?

That is what I see as one of the greatest challenges for 'fast track' courses or programs, there is an increasing array of expertise involved but all the underlying basic physics, mechanics, acoustics, electronics, etc. as well as people skills, oral and written presentation skills, liability and contractual issues and so on are also still relevant.  How do you effectively cover all that in 20 weeks and if you can't, what is covered or not covered?

It's not so much those already in the industry thinking someone with a certificate from a 20 week program would know everything as much as whether those signing up understand that.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »

That is what I see as one of the greatest challenges for 'fast track' courses or programs, there is an increasing array of expertise involved but all the underlying basic physics, mechanics, acoustics, electronics, etc. as well as people skills, oral and written presentation skills, liability and contractual issues and so on are also still relevant.  How do you effectively cover all that in 20 weeks and if you can't, what is covered or not covered?

It's not so much those already in the industry thinking someone with a certificate from a 20 week program would know everything as much as whether those signing up understand that.

Of course all that "other stuff" is important, but does that take away from what someone could learn from these courses? Just because the course doesn't include contracts 101 does that mean all is a waste and not worth it? Certainly there is something of value in a program like this. No it doesn't mean a graduate will get a gig for an A list act upon graduation. As like you said, there are many aspects to this business not just "do you know what button A does".

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »

Of course all that "other stuff" is important, but does that take away from what someone could learn from these courses? Just because the course doesn't include contracts 101 does that mean all is a waste and not worth it? Certainly there is something of value in a program like this. No it doesn't mean a graduate will get a gig for an A list act upon graduation. As like you said, there are many aspects to this business not just "do you know what button A does".
I wasn't implying that is wasn't potentially beneficial, sorry if it came across that way. Courses that focus on new technology can also be very useful for those who have been in the business for years and are expanding on an existing strong understanding of the other aspects.  However, I have seen too many "audio engineering" programs that seem to be heavy on 'how to' and a bit light on why you are doing something, or not doing something, in the first place.  And way too many graduates of such courses with little or no additional experience and knowledge that seem to think they already know all there is to know.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 02:02:05 AM »

Recently came across this http://mastermixlive.com/. Any of you have experience with these guys?

This is a new school that is starting here in Las vegas. The owner is Rick Camp, a seasoned touring guy who just finished a world tour with Jennifer Lopez.  Rick is a smart guy and the concept is to give a better audio education with a lot of hands on and smaller class sizes than the big schools. I think the first class starts this summer.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 02:02:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.