ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New speaker placement causing deafing HF, please help.  (Read 20770 times)

Eric Crissman

New speaker placement causing deafing HF, please help.
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:09:38 PM »

First off thank you for your time, I have changed my speaker configuration during a remodel, and now have two unique situations I hadn't had with the prior arrangement. I was hoping someone might be able to suggest some way to correct. This is in my garage and the equipment doesn’t get moved. \

1. The U15P’s on sticks develop ear piercing HF at higher volumes (e.g. crash symbol) in the center of the room. it’s not as bright/harsh on the right and left of the center clustered subs.
2. The bass output from the UCS1P is intense on the right and left flanks (which I like) but lacks that punch in the center of the cluster.

For reference I will include before (sounded pretty good) and after the remodel pictures. Equipment is powered Yorkville Unity, Allen and Heath ZED14 and laptop or Stanton 502.c . Only used for playback material that has been professionally recorded (not mp3).

The subs with the center clustered horns (before photo) sounded better but the way we use the space I need to keep a small footprint. Would placing the U15P on stick on the center two subs kind of like an array help, or rotating the U15P’s in or out?

Thank you,
Eric Crissman

Current configuration, Concrete floors, concrete walls (topped with hard coat), Plaster ceilings (insulated, glued and screwed)

HVAC bulkhead possible adding to the reflection.

Old setup, U15P angled down at about 20 degrees.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: New speaker placement causing deafing HF, please help.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »

Couple of things that may help others help you:

Dimensions of garage? Normally empty, or filled with people?
Do you have a spl level that you can reference? even a freeware iPhone app measurement from 5 yards away would help to give people an idea of the volume that's present in the room.
What kind of music?

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »

Acoustic treatment in general should help, but even some pieces of Auralex directly in front of the speakers on the ceiling would probably help and anywhere they're directly pointed (is that bulkhead in front of the speakers?). Make sure whatever you use is properly certified for fire safety for you locale.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Eric Crissman

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »

Yes the bulkhead is approx 15' in front of the speakers and has a 10" down projection so the top most portion of the horn would catch the bottom of the bulkhead (probably 6 or so inches of overlap).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:05:53 PM by Eric Crissman »

Eric Crissman

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »

The garage is 30x60 with 10' ceiling. The area where the audio is approx 28x30. Normally 8-20 people when we have parties, the music is primarily new music top 20 dance. I do have a meter and will get some readings as soon as I get home.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »

Dimensions of garage? ...

A sketch of the garage (overhead view) would be helpful, showing the speaker locations, walls, AC soffit, and other physical obstructions...
Mark McFarlane

Eric Crissman

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »

A sketch of the garage (overhead view) would be helpful, showing the speaker locations, walls, AC soffit, and other physical obstructions...

I will have to draw it freehand, I messed around for about a half hour trying to find a free program. But didn't have a any luck. If you have a suggestion for a program I am open to it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »

I will have to draw it freehand, I messed around for about a half hour trying to find a free program. But didn't have a any luck. If you have a suggestion for a program I am open to it.

The "drawing" program that came with Windows or the Mac OS will suffice.

What's wrong with simply turning it down?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Eric Crissman

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 05:30:46 PM »

The "drawing" program that came with Windows or the Mac OS will suffice.

What's wrong with simply turning it down?

I would like to use it to its fullest. But your right turning it down would eliminate the problem.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »

I would like to use it to its fullest. But your right turning it down would eliminate the problem.

I have a rack of Crown ITech 8000s running a stack of 4 JBL VerTec 4889.  If I were to use it "to its fullest" here the in shop the neighborhood dogs would run away, my staff would grab hearing protection and the police would show up.

Do what is appropriate.  Your car will probably go 100 mph, too, but you'd be foolish to drive at that speed on public roadways.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.