ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: New speaker placement causing deafing HF, please help.  (Read 13821 times)

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
Re: New speaker placement causing deafing HF, please help.
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2013, 11:25:04 am »

Your right leaving the doors open isn't always practicle. We did have them open on Saturday and the friends that came over kept complimenting on the sound. Their opinion was sounded better than it ever has in the past. Opening the space made the subs sound soooo sweet, and the HF nice and accurate.

Some sound treatment is in order.

Putting your speakers on the short wall, and firing them down the 60' length of the garage will help a lot with the highs, without treatment.

BTW, I am planning to steal your 30'*60' garage.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Eric Crissman

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2013, 11:25:30 am »

The Auralex foam will work as an absorber, but typically not as well as Rockwool or OC703.  Out of the box the foam can be pretty, and it's very easy to hang.  Over time it will collect a lot of dust (need gentle vacuuming) and be prone to damage (chunks tearing out) from things bumping into it. Also, Getting glued-on foam off of walls will tear off wallboard paper or pretty much any other surface coating (been there, done that).

Rockwool or OC703 panels are cheaper and provide broader band and more absorption. Pre-made panels (GIK and others) are moderately expensive, but with some 1*2s, a hand saw, picture wire, wallboard corner edging, and some flame retardant covering (http://www.guilfordofmaine.com/acoustic/panel)  you can whip out some really nice wall treatment that you can hang like a picture, and easily move around.    Build the 1*2 frame the same size as the panels (typically 2'*4') and place the frame behind the panels so the Rockwool/OC703 is 2" off the wall to get better absorption.  Add wallboard 'outside corner moulding' to the front of the panels to give a nice sharp edge, cover in fabric and staple gun it to the wood frame.

I suspect the Bob's (recycled paper) egg crates provided half absorption and half diffusion, and neither one very well.  And a nasty fire hazard.

Here's a few pics of my Rockwool panels: http://www.arkoserecords.com/Studio/tabid/60/Default.aspx

Great links thank you, will definitely make some. !!!

Eric Crissman

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2013, 11:26:52 am »

Putting your speakers on the short wall, and firing them down the 60' length of the garage will help a lot with the highs, without treatment.

BTW, I am planning to steal your 30'*60' garage.

I can help you with the 30x60. That's what I do.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2013, 01:58:15 pm »

I suspect the Bob's (recycled paper) egg crates provided half absorption and half diffusion, and neither one very well.  And a nasty fire hazard.

Here's a few pics of my Rockwool panels: http://www.arkoserecords.com/Studio/tabid/60/Default.aspx

Jeez Mark, only one fire I can think of, and we were lucky we could even get the egg crates back then, let alone fancy schmancy panels like yours.

Nice studio by the way, far better than the 70x40 basement of my 100 year old house.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2013, 01:58:15 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.