ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New speaker placement causing deafing HF, please help.  (Read 20607 times)

Eric Crissman

Re: New speaker placement causing deafing HF, please help.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 08:20:37 AM »

I go along with that Mark but my statement concerning dropping the height of the top cabinets has to do with reflections off of the ceiling, plus as close together as they are in the pictures tends to make me feel he's got a pretty good beaming effect going on as well. One quick change the OP could make, even if he did nothing else, would be to aim the speakers more towards the outside walls. He'll get some reflection, but he'll find that much more pleasant than summing those horns, plus he's fill the room using lower volumes that sound just as loud.

You are exactly right;  I was posting my experience rotating the speakers toward the outside walls. What I wasn't so sure of is how much? Since the speakers can be arrayed would you rotate to the point the inside of each speaker would be parallel as if it was being arrayed.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 09:59:57 AM »

You are exactly right;  I was posting my experience rotating the speakers toward the outside walls. What I wasn't so sure of is how much? Since the speakers can be arrayed would you rotate to the point the inside of each speaker would be parallel as if it was being arrayed.
Piling on, the room and the placement of the speakers are important, as you've found.  You're "sweet spot" is  now a "hot spot".  I would seriously consider tilting the speakers downward some, even in the current position.  I'd also consider getting some acoustic absorption material on the ceiling in front of the speakers, and some behind the cabinets-come out of the wall/ceiling junction with the material.  The room is very reflective right now and needs some taming.
If these stay there permanently, I'd want to turn them sideways, and mount them to the ceiling joists and adjust some downward angle to taste/need.  I would also spread them further apart as you had originally.

Best regards,

John

Eric Crissman

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »

Piling on, the room and the placement of the speakers are important, as you've found.  You're "sweet spot" is  now a "hot spot".  I would seriously consider tilting the speakers downward some, even in the current position.  I'd also consider getting some acoustic absorption material on the ceiling in front of the speakers, and some behind the cabinets-come out of the wall/ceiling junction with the material.  The room is very reflective right now and needs some taming.
If these stay there permanently, I'd want to turn them sideways, and mount them to the ceiling joists and adjust some downward angle to taste/need.  I would also spread them further apart as you had originally.

Best regards,

John

By turn them sideways do you mean toward the outer walls? Like the top picture in my sketch? I also agree I need some sound absorbtion materials in front of the tops. Possibly start with a wedge where the HVAC bulkhead and ceiling meet and work my way back towards the cluster.

Yes this is permanent until the wall needs fresh coat if paint.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:10:40 AM by Eric Crissman »

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »

Is the garage door usually open or closed during these sessions?

If it's closed, I'm sticking with my suggestion of
1) fire the speakers down the long axis of the garage (move them left one wall, center them on this 30 foot wall). This will move the bass room modes down in frequency and reduce the amount of echo off the back wall.  Should clean up the sound quite a bit.
2) stack the tops directly on the subs or tilt them.  There are several recent discussions on tilters, fixed angle tilters are under $100. Cheaper than treatment.
3) Now unplug one of the speakers and see what you have.  You can leave the second speaker there to look cool, it doesn't have to be on. Some pro concerts use stacks of mock guitar cabinets, do it like the pros.

This is an easy, free test that should help with both high frequency and low frequency control.

It might also be worth trying a corner setup, again with one top, or the two tops stacked on top of each other, with one of them upside down to get the horns physically close to each other (I'm assuming the horns are at the top of these cabs, not in the middle).  Strap em together with a truck ratched strap from Wallmart, and don't ratchet too tight if you use the handles.
Mark McFarlane

Eric Crissman

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »

I got it, and will test them. I will also search for the fixed angle tilt, I was under the impression that a tilt post or speaker sockets couldnt handle the weight. Other than the distance apart and tilt they had before they are the same height. I will test your suggestion hopefully sometime this weekend. Thank you.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »

I got it, and will test them. I will also search for the fixed angle tilt, I was under the impression that a tilt post or speaker sockets couldnt handle the weight. Other than the distance apart and tilt they had before they are the same height. I will test your suggestion hopefully sometime this weekend. Thank you.

I could tell you how to fix it with very little effort, but then I'd have to kill you.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »

I could tell you how to fix it with very little effort, but then I'd have to kill you.

go ahead and tell us Dick... ya can'na kill everybody ! :)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »

go ahead and tell us Dick... ya can'na kill everybody ! :)

Simple answer:

If it was fine before you changed it, put it back that way.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Eric Crissman

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 12:55:44 PM »

LOL, that would fix it. That's to easy though, I know a lot of you guys have come up against some serious audio problems and I like picking your brain and learning from your experience.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »

LOL, that would fix it. That's to easy though, I know a lot of you guys have come up against some serious audio problems and I like picking your brain and learning from your experience.

Small venue sound: 90 x 50 horns. not too high, not to low. k-sub per side.. all that's needed for this one.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.