ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to punch up toms, Drawmer ds501?  (Read 3790 times)

Sean Barry

Looking to punch up toms, Drawmer ds501?
« on: March 28, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »

Hi all. Did a search and came up empty, I think I don't do the search thing right? I am looking to have the capacity to give toms a greater attack with less overall volume? If that makes any sense at all. I have lusted after Drawmer products over the years but couldn't justify the $$ at my level. Now with digital desks sweeping the market, lots of nice rack gear is out there to be had. I don't need 32 gates/comps/etc :D Any input on the ds501? Thanks.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Looking to punch up toms, Drawmer ds501?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »

Hi all. Did a search and came up empty, I think I don't do the search thing right? I am looking to have the capacity to give toms a greater attack with less overall volume? If that makes any sense at all. I have lusted after Drawmer products over the years but couldn't justify the $$ at my level. Now with digital desks sweeping the market, lots of nice rack gear is out there to be had. I don't need 32 gates/comps/etc :D Any input on the ds501? Thanks.

You want SPL's Transient Designer, not a noise gate.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »

You want SPL's Transient Designer, not a noise gate.

Drawmer MX40 "Punch Gate".  This is the one gate I know of which will do what the OP needs.  Engage the "punch" button and the transient is boosted nicely, enhancing the attack without increasing overall volume.

Edit:

http://www.drawmer.com/products/mxpro-series/mx40-punch-gate.php
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:39:42 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Sean Barry

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »

Drawmer MX40 "Punch Gate".  This is the one gate I know of which will do what the OP needs.  Engage the "punch" button and the transient is boosted nicely, enhancing the attack without increasing overall volume.

Edit:

http://www.drawmer.com/products/mxpro-series/mx40-punch-gate.php
Thanks guys. The SPL's Transient Designer is US$700-1200? out of my range. MX40 could be the ticket, I might have a line on 1 for $250. Is that too much? Thanks again.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

Thanks guys. The SPL's Transient Designer is US$700-1200? out of my range. MX40 could be the ticket, I might have a line on 1 for $250. Is that too much? Thanks again.

I paid $400 used for mine a number of years back.  One of the best gear purchases I ever made.  Simple to operate and very, very effective.  You'll need XLR send/return on your insert cables.  Audiopile sells them.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Sean Barry

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »

Thanks for the Audiopile tip Dick. I already ordered the parts to make my own. $20.00 cheaper than Audiopiles but it wont be as pretty. I would probably gone with Audiopile had I known sooner.

JamesButera

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »

Waves TransX...I've been an SPL Transient guy (TDM-Profile) for a while then my friend loaded up TransX and I wanted to shoot myself for spending more than double on SPL Transient Designer :)

Sean Barry

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:11:48 AM »

I paid $400 used for mine a number of years back.  One of the best gear purchases I ever made.  Simple to operate and very, very effective.  You'll need XLR send/return on your insert cables.  Audiopile sells them.

Just to review..when soldering the connections on the XLRs, I would just put tip (TRS) to pin 2 and connect the ring and shaft to pins 3 and 1? Do I need to solder anything to the case ground of the XLRs? Am I making any sense?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 02:54:20 AM »

Just to review..when soldering the connections on the XLRs, I would just put tip (TRS) to pin 2 and connect the ring and shaft to pins 3 and 1? Do I need to solder anything to the case ground of the XLRs? Am I making any sense?

The common wiring is Tip - Pin 2; Ring - Pin 3; Sleeve - Pin 1.  Do NOT connect the shell ground tab of the XLR.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sean Barry

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:17 AM »

The common wiring is Tip - Pin 2; Ring - Pin 3; Sleeve - Pin 1.  Do NOT connect the shell ground tab of the XLR.
Thanks for the input Tim. Just to clarify, this would be for an insert cable for a Drawmer MX40 punch gate so the TRS is at mixer and a Male and female XLR is at the gate. So I'm thinking I have to tie pin 1 and 3 together? I will not connect the shell ground, thanks for that tip as well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:17 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.