ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Articles and info on Intercom for Broadcast  (Read 1855 times)

Guthrie Saunders

Articles and info on Intercom for Broadcast
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:24:55 pm »

Does anyone know where I can find some good info on Intercom systems for broadcast. I've recently started doing some sports broadcasting gigs and the intercom systems are very in depth and complicated so I'm wondering if there are any good resources where I can study how the systems work, learn some more about the terminology and more about how they all connect together. I know there are some experts here who can point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
Re: Articles and info on Intercom for Broadcast
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:15:03 pm »

Does anyone know where I can find some good info on Intercom systems for broadcast. I've recently started doing some sports broadcasting gigs and the intercom systems are very in depth and complicated so I'm wondering if there are any good resources where I can study how the systems work, learn some more about the terminology and more about how they all connect together. I know there are some experts here who can point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

The RTS website is a pretty good place to start for downloading manuals and getting the basics covered. I typically see the RTS KP-32 panels, along with the ADAM frames, pretty consistently. The IFB accessories vary depending on the job, as do the various compatibility boxes needed to get party-line systems tied in, which is most frequently in-house clear-com (compatible) units that a venue may have installed.

My experience is mostly with systems that are already built (broadcast trucks) and just need to be configured for each day's needs & integrated with party lines.... so having access to the literature has served me very well, I keep TONS of manuals in PDF form on my (gig) iPad.

I would consider myself pretty damn far from being anything resembling a Com expert... so hopefully a real intercom guy will chime in here and offer some real help.

Guthrie Saunders

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 05:29:49 pm »

Thanks for the info Steve. The work I've done so far has also been on broadcast trucks where the gear is already installed. It's a whole different world from what I'm used to with a whole different set of terminology so it's been interesting trying to learn a whole different set of tools.

Neil White

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 06:06:56 pm »

Does anyone know where I can find some good info on Intercom systems for broadcast.

The Telex Handbook of Intercom Systems is a great starting point for a good understanding of partyline, matrix and wireless comms. Pete Erskine has a copy in the downloads section of his website along with many other useful comm system designs and application notes

http://bestaudio.com/downloads.htm

Neil

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:46:18 am »

Hi,
You could also download the AZEdit software for RTS systems. While it might be too soon for that, I do find the software manual and help system pretty good. It would probably be best to start with a file from a system you're even slightly familiar with. You wouldn't have to create a basic configuration that you need when starting from a new (empty) file.
I was new to matrix systems and would have been lost without the commissioning and training day we received with a new RTS system, there's a lot to learn. I've always found experienced people to be quite willing to help, but time is usually the enemy. There's nothing like hands-on, though. If you're anywhere near me you'd be welcome. That said I'm not a power user by any means.
Good luck,
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

Guthrie Saunders

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13:46 pm »

Thanks Neil. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Curt, thanks for the advice and the offer. I'm in the S.F. Bay Area so Wisconsin sounds like a long commute.

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 02:58:19 am »

Hi,
But the weather sucks here, it would be worth it.
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 02:58:19 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 23 queries.