ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Drum Triggers and iPhone Music  (Read 4541 times)

James Puckett

Bass Drum Triggers and iPhone Music
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:51:06 AM »

Just mixed a show with 2 hard rock bands. One I knew the other I didn't. I had bought another D6 and stand cause the other band's drummer uses 2 bass drums.

The drummer asked that I not mic his BD's and just plug in his triggers....(he didn't know how, I didn't know how) we ended up mic'g his BD's. 

What's the best way to hook up a bass drum trigger to a mixing board?  What do I need to buy to make sure I have this covered for next time.

Then the drummer tells me that some of there intro music for there songs is on his cell phone....and for me to connect his cell phone to my mixer. I did not have an adaptor....
They played there songs without the cell phone music intro's.

Is it possible and safe to run music from a cell phone into an analog mixer?
I found a special cable that looks like it will work....
What else is needed if anything.

Suggestions welcome

Other than this the gig went great.

thanks

James

Patrick Moore

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:39:16 AM »

Triggers have to be connected to a Drum Module or a midi interface to actually trigger the sample or sound.  You would interface the midi module with your mixer, with either TRS or XLR cables plugged into the correct channels.

For the cell phone, hook it up just like an iPod, use a DI if necessary...

Zachary Zimmerman

• Shenandoah, VA USA
Re: Bass Drum Triggers and iPhone Music
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 02:51:49 AM »

Just mixed a show with 2 hard rock bands. One I knew the other I didn't. I had bought another D6 and stand cause the other band's drummer uses 2 bass drums.

The drummer asked that I not mic his BD's and just plug in his triggers....(he didn't know how, I didn't know how) we ended up mic'g his BD's. 

What's the best way to hook up a bass drum trigger to a mixing board?  What do I need to buy to make sure I have this covered for next time.

Then the drummer tells me that some of there intro music for there songs is on his cell phone....and for me to connect his cell phone to my mixer. I did not have an adaptor....

Suggestions welcome

thanks

James

1/8 trs to RL TS1/4 or RL xlrs
Or a pair of dis to go from 1/4s to xlrs

I use one of these and go into two channels side by side and use board tape to do the old channel link trick   Or if its onstage ill use a pair of whirlwind IMPs to go to xlr
Hey Y'all watch this

Neil Brown

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:12:55 AM »

Suggestions welcome

thanks

James

Make sure the iPhone is in Airplane mode, otherwise when the drummer's mother calls halfway through the show..........! (it actually happened last week, although fortunately during sound-check not the show itself!)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 08:18:20 AM »

Radial ProAV2 for iPod/cell phone/etc.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

James Puckett

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »

Triggers have to be connected to a Drum Module or a midi interface to actually trigger the sample or sound.  You would interface the midi module with your mixer, with either TRS or XLR cables plugged into the correct channels.

For the cell phone, hook it up just like an iPod, use a DI if necessary...

Thanks Patrick

He had (2) 1/4" jack cables from his module , my drop snake only has xlr inserts...so would a TRS to XLR adaptor work?

So, I should not worry about running compressed music through my analog mixer (AH GL2400)?

James

Patrick Moore

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »

I would use 2 di boxes to balance the output signal from the drum module, which also converts it to mic level... suitable for sending down your snake. 

Rephrase the 2nd question.  I don't really understand what you're asking.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »

So, I should not worry about running compressed music through my analog mixer (AH GL2400)?

James

Other than being over-compressed and crappy sounding, you won't hurt anything on your board by playing an iDevice through it.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 23 queries.