ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Mic Cable Lengths?  (Read 12900 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: Drum Mic Cable Lengths?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »

I decided that my optimum bundle was just 4, all with 1.25m tails on, typically used Kick, Snare, Tom1, Tom2.  Hat, Floor Tom & O/H I cable singly as their arrangements can vary so much.  All nice & tidy!

Definitely right angled Neutrik XLRs at the mic end.  For clip-on mics, I found that having the cable outlet set to 45%. (though e904s have an offset XLR, so can clash)

I second coloured rings.  Labelling gets confusing if you end up repurposing the loom.  Colours just work!

And yes, stick with conventional Neutrik XLRs (not the gold ones) and don't bother with Quad.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 08:06:35 AM »

i am a drummer and made my own drum mic cables and they are all different lenghts. i used a Dynamo label maker and put labels on the xlr's. example > 22 1 , 22 2 , 15 , 16, 18 , 20 , SN , HH , OR , OL and this makes connecting quick. i also use 90deg xlr's on the everything at the mic end except the bass drum mics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »

Keep in mind the placement of the drum subsnake stagebox may need to change, and the layout of the drum kit may change with a lefty, and someday you might have to provide for Neal Peart.

does Whirlwind make a 52 channel Drum Drop Snake?   :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

George Dougherty

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »

I do the same, except that I just use the red jacketed X Band cable from Gepco.  I also use the standard silver Neutrik XLR plugs, no need for the gold plated pin versions.  I used a long velcro wrap around them so they're easy to spot and pull out of the mic cable trunk/bin/drawer.

Best regards,

John

So you bundle them all together? I've got room in my mic locker and have thought about putting them all in there. I already use black Velcro tie wrap on everything individually.

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »

Should all the drum mic cables be the same length?  I'm running a short drop snake to the drum riser.  From there, we currently have (8) 15' run-of-the-mill mic cables.  I'm in the process of upgrading all my mic cable to custom made Canare Quad with Neutrik Gold connectors.  There is always some leakage of drum sounds from one drum mic to another (toms to overheads, etc).  Because of this, would having different length cables not be a good idea?  Should I figure out the longest cable is that I need (example overhead) and make all the cables to that length?  For ease of use, troubleshooting, etc, I will be labeling each wire for the specific job (Kick, Snare, Hi Hat, T1, ...)

Tom Manchester has a really good diy drum loom in his kit... Everything is pre-labeled for all of the usual festival patch needs. (Kick In/Kick out/SN Top/SN Bot/HH.... etc). Maybe he can chime in here with the lengths he used, the lengths he has work really well and the whole thing is just standard mic cable loomed together.

Paging Mr. Manchester ... please go to the white courtesy phone.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »

So you bundle them all together? I've got room in my mic locker and have thought about putting them all in there. I already use black Velcro tie wrap on everything individually.

Just when they're wrapped and stored.  They all have their own small velcro wrap too.

John

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 08:28:32 PM »

i made my cable bundle ions ago with star quad. i used plastic tie wraps to old about 3 feet together about 2 feet from the snaker box. has worker very well. i also used gray cable for the oh's and snare and hh and bd's to blend with the chrome stands and snare and i used BLACK for the black toms. you could use red for red toms and blue for blue but if your a sound man fur hire u b sol with the colors man the colors. yeah star quad was probably overkill but i was middle age and didnt know no better and i spent the money Lebowski

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »

i used plastic tie wraps to old about 3 feet together about 2 feet from the snaker box.

Plastic tie wraps = ouch!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »

Plastic tie wraps = ouch!
oh it aint that bad ! i carry a case-a-dia of band aids

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.