ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How about the Peavey impulse 12D v/s the K12, PRX612 etc  (Read 13694 times)

Renard Hurtado

How about the Peavey impulse 12D v/s the K12, PRX612 etc
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »

To all my forum friends who live in the US, hence have the opportunity to jump into their cars and go to a samash or guitar center and hear these cabinets, or buy them with a 30 day trial period. what`s your opinion on this new Peavey impulse 12D cabinet with the ribbon tweeter ?

Of course thanks for all your comments.

Renard from Curacao

Scott Bolt

Re: How about the Peavey impulse 12D v/s the K12, PRX612 etc
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 06:29:41 PM »

To all my forum friends who live in the US, hence have the opportunity to jump into their cars and go to a samash or guitar center and hear these cabinets, or buy them with a 30 day trial period. what`s your opinion on this new Peavey impulse 12D cabinet with the ribbon tweeter ?

Renard from Curacao

I started reading reviews and auditioning speakers around 5 months ago. After lots of discussion and thought, I decided to limit my choices to speakers that I could test side by side at GC. This unfortunately ruled out the new Peavy powered tops which have an interesting ribbon tweeter (none of the local GC's had them :( ), and the EV ELX line which GC does not carry on their floor
(they can order it). I further decided to skip the Mackie HD's due to multiple reviewers complaining about reliability issues (I did find a few favorable reviews on their sound though). This left the QSC KW, JBL PRX, and Yamaha DSR. I tested these speakers with a combination of thump and precision vocal music. I also tested the speakers with my own vocals using an EV ND767a microphone and a Taylor guitar. I tested at moderate and high volumes. I tested the maximum volume that the speakers would go to before clipping. All speakers were auditioned alone (no sub) with any HPF off and any eq tricks off. I used a Presonus digital mixer and the parametric eq to set each speaker to the most pleasing sound at moderate volumes and then pushed until things fell apart ;) The QSC KW112 and K12 both sounded good at moderate volumes and needed very little eq to sound good (boosted a bit at ~125 to get a bit more punch). At higher volumes, it was like the limiter for the low driver just stopped and the tweeter got louder creating an unpleasent and harsh tone at higher volumes. The JBL PRX 612 required a little boost at 125 and some cut at 800 with some definition added around 2K. The speaker sounded good the entire range of its output and experienced only a little harshness at max volume. This speaker was also the lightest of the bunch and the least expensive. I was set to buy it until .... The Yamaha DSR112 came out the gate with a bit too much HF for my taste so I cut some in the 2-4K range... just a bit. As the volume was turned up, these speakers simply sounded fantastic. The bottom was way more round and punchy that all the other speakers tested. The clarity was also better on vocals. At max volume, I suspect that these speakers could carry a 200-300 person event with subs and sound great doing it. The final test of all the speakers was just me and my guitar. If I wasn't sold on the DSR's before, this would have done it hands down. The somewhat noticeable clarity difference on recorded music turned into a clear differentiator with live play. I have had these for about 1 week and played with my band with them over my subs.  They are a bit heavy at 47lbs (compared to the feather light PRX612 at only 34lbs), but the sound is well worth the additional 13lbs. As for features, it has fly points if you need that, it has mic/line input levels, a contour button (boost bottom and high for lower volume stuff), a HPF for use with a sub, and the ability to turn off the front power on LED. It has an XLR and 1/4" input and an XLR through. It can be used as a monitor wedge. Look and feel, it looks like a speaker ;) OK, I actually like the look of the JBL better, but they are good looking speakers as far as speakers go.

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:01:43 PM »

Renard from Curacao

i am interested in comments on this as well. i have been looking at the 12d, i think it has the ipr technology, my concern has never been the amplifiers, the woofer, or the cabinet built. the ribbon tweeter is a different ball game however. if its the same ribbon in the line array, which i think it is, they sound sweet but are a bit too fragile for my liking.

disclamer: i am speaking purely from my experience with the versarray tops which may not translate to the same case of the 12d.

sheldon

Scott Bolt

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:50:28 AM »

I am also very interested in the 12D; however, I have already made my purchase this year :(.

I was not able to audition the new Peavey's and was concerned about the quality of the sound.  I understand that some really good quality line array's use ribbon tweeters; however, those speakers are usually in a higher pay catagory than the Peavey 12D.  I was concerned that they may use a less expensive element and/or the processing might not be up to snuff, etc.  I really want to hear these.  It is an interesting technology to be included in a powered speaker in this price range.  It could be a real break-through product.

If anyone has heard them, I would love to hear of your experience.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »

I am also very interested in the 12D; however, I have already made my purchase this year :(.

I was not able to audition the new Peavey's and was concerned about the quality of the sound.  I understand that some really good quality line array's use ribbon tweeters; however, those speakers are usually in a higher pay catagory than the Peavey 12D.  I was concerned that they may use a less expensive element and/or the processing might not be up to snuff, etc.  I really want to hear these.  It is an interesting technology to be included in a powered speaker in this price range.  It could be a real break-through product.

If anyone has heard them, I would love to hear of your experience.

Can anyone chime in with some pro/con to the ribbon tweeter. Specifically power handling, sensitivity, directionality, freq response, etc.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:00:49 PM »

i am interested in comments on this as well. i have been looking at the 12d, i think it has the ipr technology, my concern has never been the amplifiers, the woofer, or the cabinet built. the ribbon tweeter is a different ball game however. if its the same ribbon in the line array, which i think it is, they sound sweet but are a bit too fragile for my liking.

disclamer: i am speaking purely from my experience with the versarray tops which may not translate to the same case of the 12d.

sheldon

I don't know for a fact, since I've been outside the castle walls for several years now, but IIRC the first ribbon tweeter used in their array product was a purchased driver. They then tooled up their own design to use in the later generation array products. They would not tool up their own part to make it less robust.

It is not very PV-like (IMO) to put a fragile driver in a product designed to be operated by PV customers.  ;D 

Of course this is just my speculation. This should not be a secret though, so try asking PV service or their web forum which should get you some kind of answer.

JR

PS: I vaguely recall another thread about this, but I'm not going to try to find it.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 06:58:35 PM »

I don't know for a fact, since I've been outside the castle walls for several years now, but IIRC the first ribbon tweeter used in their array product was a purchased driver. They then tooled up their own design to use in the later generation array products. They would not tool up their own part to make it less robust.

It is not very PV-like (IMO) to put a fragile driver in a product designed to be operated by PV customers.  ;D 

Of course this is just my speculation. This should not be a secret though, so try asking PV service or their web forum which should get you some kind of answer.

JR

PS: I vaguely recall another thread about this, but I'm not going to try to find it.

you do have a valid point. i guess i am going to sit back and wait until someone gives a review (a "they sound good, and they held up on xyz .....from a credible pro will suffice")
before i start spending.
sheldon

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »

you do have a valid point. i guess i am going to sit back and wait until someone gives a review (a "they sound good, and they held up on xyz .....from a credible pro will suffice")
before i start spending.
sheldon

How many credible pros embrace Peavey products?  8)

You might be waiting a while...  Even when they use them they usually don't go out of their way telegraph that fact.

I look forward to a review from anybody...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »

Got one person in another forum that used a pair in a gig.  Fried one and had to go back to using his K12's.  Obviously not a ringing endorsement for the reliability.  He did say that they sounded great though ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.