ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vertical truss and moving lights  (Read 8558 times)

John Hyun

vertical truss and moving lights
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:46:53 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm used to horizontal trusses and this is the first time I'm coming up with a design using vertical trusses (see attachment).  Base plates and sandbags were not included in the 3D drawing but that's common sense.  My question...is this setup possible and safe? I'm assuming the moving heads will be about 30-60lbs each.  Will the truss sway or will the sandbags keep em steady? 

I'm just coming up with design ideas.  The actual setup and all will be done by professionals.  I'm just seeing if this idea is even possible in real life...

Thanks!

Josh Daws

Re: vertical truss and moving lights
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm used to horizontal trusses and this is the first time I'm coming up with a design using vertical trusses (see attachment).  Base plates and sandbags were not included in the 3D drawing but that's common sense.  My question...is this setup possible and safe? I'm assuming the moving heads will be about 30-60lbs each.  Will the truss sway or will the sandbags keep em steady? 

I'm just coming up with design ideas.  The actual setup and all will be done by professionals.  I'm just seeing if this idea is even possible in real life...

Thanks!

i would just ensure that the load is balanced. so what weight is on one side is the same on the other where possible. also depends on the fixture wieghts...for example 3 mac auras on one side not a problem as long as its sandbagged, however 3 Mac250's, will need it distributed evenly...

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:10:36 PM »

Yeah, that's definitely possible; I do it all the time.  If you're hanging fixtures from the truss itself you need to make sure that they are capable of being mounted sideways.  A lot of Elation movers are not built to be side mounted.  MAC250's are okay.  I would suggest clamping a pipe through the truss and mounting the lights from the pipe.  This way you'll be hanging them upside down (which is acceptable for all moving lights).  As Josh mentioned, try to distribute the weight evenly.  If you're looking at putting one on top of the truss I have found that a Mac250 will sit perfectly on top of standard 12" box truss.  The feet of the light fits right into the opening of the tubes.  I use a bungee to secure it, go through each handle, around the truss, and connect the bungee to itself.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »

These are studio spot 575's on 20.5" truss. We use a pipe cheesboroughed across the top and hang the 575's from that.

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »

These are studio spot 575's on 20.5" truss. We use a pipe cheesboroughed across the top and hang the 575's from that.

Good ol' Rock and Roll polished par cans.

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »

Hey guys,

Thanks!
like this?

there's 2-3 sharpies on each vertical truss (2 10' trusses, 2 8' trusses), and half a dozen sand bags on each 3' square base plate
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

John Hyun

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »

Tom and James,

That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks for the pictures.

Are there any other tips I should know when mounting lights in these fashion?

James Feenstra

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »

make sure they're all hung the same (I typically do arrow up) or you'll have a pain in the ass programming

your P/T will be different (obviously)....if you've never programmed lights mounted in this fashion before it'll be something you need to get used to
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.