ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Cheap LED Pars  (Read 10644 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Advice on Cheap LED Pars
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »

great information so far.  thanks to all.

i was aware of chauvet and ADJ but blizzard is a new one on me.  so i'll give them a look see for this application.  and if anyone has any more specifics about a particular fixture that was good or bad or 'good but outdated and so i could pick them up for a song somewhere' that'd be great.

the brighter Blizzards that randy mentioned might also be useful to try on my main stage.  that's a whole different deal with 20 MAC250 moving heads and about 40 source 4 LEKOs to compete with, so i need the punch to make it even worth using.  i've been looking for some kind of LED fixture to use for uplighting and set effect lighting.  been using my MAC300s right now, which seems a waste of a moving head when it never actually moves.  :)  anyway, 200 a fixture makes buying 20 of them a little easier sell to the bookkeeper here, so i might buy one to try it out and see how it works.

thanks again for helping out a poor lowly squeak in his time of need....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Randall Hyde

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »

great information so far.  thanks to all.

i was aware of chauvet and ADJ but blizzard is a new one on me.  so i'll give them a look see for this application.  and if anyone has any more specifics about a particular fixture that was good or bad or 'good but outdated and so i could pick them up for a song somewhere' that'd be great.

the brighter Blizzards that randy mentioned might also be useful to try on my main stage.  that's a whole different deal with 20 MAC250 moving heads and about 40 source 4 LEKOs to compete with, so i need the punch to make it even worth using.  i've been looking for some kind of LED fixture to use for uplighting and set effect lighting.  been using my MAC300s right now, which seems a waste of a moving head when it never actually moves.  :)  anyway, 200 a fixture makes buying 20 of them a little easier sell to the bookkeeper here, so i might buy one to try it out and see how it works.

thanks again for helping out a poor lowly squeak in his time of need....

Blizzard Rocklite RGBAW fixtures put out 25,000+ lux @1m.
They are so bright I have to run them at no greater than 50% on my stage because they're like looking into a laser pointer when they hit you in the face. Of course, at farther distances than I do on my stage (10-20' from the performers' heads) you can turn these puppies back up.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Terry Martin

Advice on Cheap LED Pars
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »

Sounds like a good project for Blizzard Pucks to me.  ...and there are Blizzard dealers on PSW.   ;-)

Terry

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »

I've also bought some stuff from www.cheaplights.com and been pleasantly surprised.

Looks like the same price from Chauvet or Blizzard.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »

I have 12 chinese LED Par64 lights I bought from eBay seller amonstar. They were hanging in a small club for 3 years up until about 2 months ago. I had one fixture out of 12 that started acting weird and the seller sent me a new dmx pcb to replace the bad one for free. These were really cheap (about $60 each) and are great for the price in my opinion. They use the 10mm LEDs and are as far as I can tell are the same as the chauvet venue or mbt lights.

brian maddox

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »

in keeping with the theme, someone gave the church a dozen of these.  There are no markings on them anywhere that i can see.  anybody have any idea what they are or anywhere i can find info on them?

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »

Hey Brian,
Those look exactly like the Chinese LEDs I just posted about.

James Feenstra

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »

probably a generic 3 or 4 channel LED par...there's so many products on the market these days it's impossible to keep track of them all
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

brian maddox

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 04:17:34 PM »

Hey Brian,
Those look exactly like the Chinese LEDs I just posted about.

well cool.  then i got them even cheaper than 60 bucks a pop...  :)

anything special i need to know regarding DMX programming?  i'm pretty new to the LED game, so any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Josh Daws

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »

anything special i need to know regarding DMX programming?  i'm pretty new to the LED game, so any help would be appreciated.

only if you are using a console that uses Fixture profiles...you just need to know what channel does what...best thing to do (as suggested in another recent post) patch a bunch of generic dimmers, then find out the function for each...or you can try a few generic RGB/DRGB etc if you think it to be easier...

if it is a simple fader based console like a smartfade, then all you need to do is patch the fixture to the appropriate channel where you want it to begin, then start pushing faders...

aside from that...nothing special is really needed to be known, just enjoy playing with them...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.