ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: crown k2 shutting off issue.  (Read 5789 times)

Ted Christensen

crown k2 shutting off issue.
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »

I have a crown k2 that keeps shutting the signal off at low volumes.  I hardly push the amp. Enough to get signal audible through the speakers though. I have to quick move the gain knob back down and then up again and it kicks back in then cuts out again after a little while. I dont think this is a problem when high volume is being pushed though.

Its only the AMP on tweeters all the other K2's on the subs and mids do not give that issue.

The only thing i noticed which im thinking is not an issue is when i move the gain knob back down then up the power light gets brighter green making me think it turned on out of sleep mode or something similar.  It does with a lot of the K2's i noticed. The ones i tried it on so im assuming if its doing that on the 6 i checked it must be some sort of manufactor thing or they are just really old and have issues.

Anyone else experience this or have similar signs?

Thanks
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

paul bell

Re: crown k2 shutting off issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »

The K2 was a great amp. Probably the best amp ever for highs. They just forgot the cooling fan.

Your amp is going to sleep. I would guess that it'll do it less with a full range or sub range signal.

Maybe the sleep function can be tuned out.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »

Reseat the ribbon cables. Possibly consider cleaning the ribbon cable contacts also.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »

Reseat the ribbon cables. Possibly consider cleaning the ribbon cable contacts also.
+1
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »

While it can't do any harm, I doubt it will fix the problem with the amp going to sleep.

Waaaay back when I owned many a K2, I had the same issue - low-lovel signals would end up with a "gate" type effect, drove me crazy. Crown issues a tech bulletin for it that I can't find, but I fixed it the same way this guy did: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10402

Ales Dravinec

• ADRaudio, Slovenia
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 01:26:14 AM »

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?32424-Crown-K1-K2-Sleep-Mode-Mod

This should help. Just a jumper needed.
I personally did this mod on MANY K2s.

Respectfully

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 08:24:46 AM »

Clean the pots - really blast the stuff in there.  I had to do one amp's pots twice before they quieted down.  If that doesn't do it, put in the link.  If that doesn't do it, either the input or main board has a problem (I forget which one ours was - a touch with a probe would shut it down, which made troubleshooting difficult.  I made one good amp out of two bad ones.)

Crown is currently blowing out their stock of K series boards.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 08:24:46 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.