ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IED 4800  (Read 4228 times)

Pat ONeill

IED 4800
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »

OK....so, am upgrading a high school auditorium, but specs call to "test, report, re-use where possible" some of the existing gear.  One piece of this gear is an IED 4800 "auto"-mixer.

We didnt do the original install, so I have no idea as to the settings that are jumper-selectable in this unit.  I am searching (thusfar in vain) for a manual for this piece of gear.  No it's no longer listed on the IED website.

If anyone might have a .pdf copy of this manual available, it would sure help.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
Re: IED 4800
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »

...specs call to "test, report, re-use where possible

Sounds to me it's not possible to re-use that piece of equipment. It's obsolete and no documentation is available.

-Hal

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:25:19 AM »

OK....so, am upgrading a high school auditorium, but specs call to "test, report, re-use where possible" some of the existing gear.  One piece of this gear is an IED 4800 "auto"-mixer.

We didnt do the original install, so I have no idea as to the settings that are jumper-selectable in this unit.  I am searching (thusfar in vain) for a manual for this piece of gear.  No it's no longer listed on the IED website.

Have you contacted IED?  They have always been extremely helpful in the past.

A Google search for "IED 4800 manual" and assumption that if there is an "a" document and "c" document then there might be a "b" document finds:
http://downloads.iedaudio.com/BR4400_4800.pdf
http://downloads.iedaudio.com/4800%20Series_4_20a.pdf
http://downloads.iedaudio.com/4800%20Series_4_20b.pdf
http://downloads.iedaudio.com/4800%20Series_4_20c.pdf

Robert Healey

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:33 AM »

http://www.iedaudio.com/support/Documentation.aspx

There's a "Spec Sheet", an "Install Sheet", and a "Operating Manual" for the 4400/4800 listed there.

I don't see the 4800 on IED's products page, but I am under the impression that it is a current product. I just helped set one up in a church and it worked very well.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »

Depending on what the use will be of the auditorium, I assume it has a stage and will be used for all things that take place on a school stage a dedicated auto mixer on all the inputs may not be a good idea. Things like choirs or vocalist singing to tracks, or a few mics covering an ensemble with some vocals can confuse an auto mixer and create strange sounding results. Spoken word productions like a play with hanging and or floor mics with a properly set up auto mixer can work great.

Just my little rant about auto mixers being speced by engineers who think an "auto mixer" knows what to do automatically to do with anything that will be sent to it.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »

Depending on what the use will be of the auditorium, I assume it has a stage and will be used for all things that take place on a school stage a dedicated auto mixer on all the inputs may not be a good idea. Things like choirs or vocalist singing to tracks, or a few mics covering an ensemble with some vocals can confuse an auto mixer and create strange sounding results. Spoken word productions like a play with hanging and or floor mics with a properly set up auto mixer can work great.

Just my little rant about auto mixers being speced by engineers who think an "auto mixer" knows what to do automatically to do with anything that will be sent to it.
Agreed, but I get the impression that Pat is being asked to assess the existing gear in terms of potential reuse in the new, upgraded system.  It is not uncommon to incorporate an automixer for some dedicated inputs or to split some inputs to an automixer and the mixing console in such a manner as to allow the room to be used for simple events without having to operate the console and the 4800 could be useful in such an application.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »

Exactly...having it patchable, routable, paralleled to non auto mixed inputs would be a smart way to reuse it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.