ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: [UPDATED] Need advice on given design for new facility  (Read 43652 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Need advice on given design for new facility
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »

----and to make profit for the installer.

When I took a refresher SMAART class a few years ago there were a couple of quiet guys in the back.  When practical applications came up on day 3, they had lots of questions about aligning balcony fill with mains... but the really fun part was when they asked about aligning balcony SUBS (under the balcony seating).  The room got quiet and finally someone asked "who did the design/install?"  They named a company most of us have taken to calling "Fraud" because of their propensity to over-spec speakers and create more problems than they solve.  I think these gentlemen figured out their church had been over-sold.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Hofmann

Re: [UPDATED] Need advice on given design for new facility
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:36 PM »

Please don't tell me all the ceiling lighting fixtures are fluorescent.
Scott Hofmann

Justin Philip

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2013, 03:04:23 PM »

I thought I posted the design on the first page but I will post it again.

It's L/R mains with subs in the middle. They are not pointed outward. Might be the picture. The lighting is incandescent.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »

It's L/R mains with subs in the middle. They are not pointed outward. Might be the picture. The lighting is incandescent.
How does the left cluster cover the seats down front on the right-and vice versa?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »

How does the left cluster cover the seats down front on the right-and vice versa?

Ivan...

A miracle, perhaps?

I'm not an unsympathetic person, but it does seem like a certain amount of "buying the hype" is occurring here.  And as you state, this is likely more common than not.  It would appear that the installer either acceded to the clients desired concept or actually took advantage of a gullible group to turn more of a profit regardless of performance.

Maybe this is the first of the three systems you see organizations purchasing...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:09:59 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Justin Philip

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2013, 10:56:36 PM »

Probably a little late to swap all this out..so just for discussion purposes...what would you guys have proposed instead?

This is some of my convo with the installer after I asked about concerns raised in this thread while back before the install:

Me: Is the data being smoothed out or manipulated in any other way? It almost looks too good to be true...I expected to see a lot of comb filtering at 2K with two widely separated boxes.

Installer: The EASE model is generated with all of JBLs in house engineers providing the proper information and programming for the EASE program to perform the calculations.  All of the material and surfaces in the room were discussed before the model was designed.  It is as accurate as it can be.  The fact that it is a smooth rendering is a factor of the speaker being properly fitted and adjusted to the room.  Either way, the room has phenomenal coverage true across the board.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2013, 11:05:37 PM »

Probably a little late to swap all this out..so just for discussion purposes...what would you guys have proposed instead?

This is some of my convo with the installer after I asked about concerns raised in this thread while back before the install:
It is quite easy to change the way EASE is displayed.  Even a bad system can be made to "appear" to have very even coverage.

I would have gone with a mono system with a center cluster (or single speaker) with a fill off to the left and right for the seats down front.

This is especially important (less sources of sound) for a room that has a high reverb time.

The clearer the source is-the more intelligible it will be for the listener.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2013, 11:18:14 PM »

It is quite easy to change the way EASE is displayed.  Even a bad system can be made to "appear" to have very even coverage.

I would have gone with a mono system with a center cluster (or single speaker) with a fill off to the left and right for the seats down front.

This is especially important (less sources of sound) for a room that has a high reverb time.

The clearer the source is-the more intelligible it will be for the listener.

Indeed.

JP:

Does the double-hang result from a congregational desire for a "stereo system"?  If so, the installer is guilty of supplying what was asked for rather than what would be correct...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2013, 11:36:15 PM »

Where are the subs in this picture?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2013, 11:51:47 PM »

Where are the subs in this picture?
Unfortunately, the subs are center hung. Right where I would have put the main PA (mono) hang.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2013, 11:51:47 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.