ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profile ducking inquiry.  (Read 3351 times)

Al Rettich

Profile ducking inquiry.
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »

ME has three talkbacks that are set up for techs to hear only. Mics are either switched, or on a momentary switch.

ME wants the cue / tech mix to duck when one of the talkbacks are open. Currently he's using his matrix for his ears, then a separate matrix for his wedge. We took a waves C1 inserted onto the IEM cue and couldn't find the key source, or side chain to make the mix duck.

I know he's not the first person to think of doing such a thing. Wondering if anyone else had ideas..

Ryan Jodrell

Re: Profile ducking inquiry.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »

I'm thinking there could be an event(s) used to do this?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:58:25 PM by Ryan Jodrell »

Al Rettich

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »

Not 100% proficient on events on this desk. Can it be taken automatically?
I'm thinking there could be an event(s) used to do this?

Ryan Jodrell

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »

I stand corrected, it looks like all event triggers must be physical moves (ie: fader, mute, solo or other trigger).
I think you have it right with keying the comp on the mix output... Perhaps you just need to use a different compressor

Sheldon Radford

• Avid VENEU Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »

Hi Al,

The way I've seen this done is as follows:
  • Combine the tech mics in a matrix
  • Route this matrix's output through a dummy (bypassed) plug-in and bring it back into an input channel on the console
  • Insert a comp (or better yet, an actual ducker like the Serato Rane series Gate/Ducker) on this matrix "return" input channel
  • Set the comp/ducker key input as desired
  • Route result to desired output

It takes a moment to set up, but works well.

Sheldon Radford
Avid

Ryan Jodrell

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »

Sheldon, wont that method duck the MICS and not the mix?
Do you mean combine the tech MIXES in a matrix?

Im confused...

Josh Hana

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »

Sheldon, wont that method duck the MICS and not the mix?
Do you mean combine the tech MIXES in a matrix?

Im confused...

Yeah I think he means mixes. I was trying to think of a way to do this that wouldn't eat up an additional output, but this seems like the best way if you truly want to automate the ducking. Seems like the way around a lot of these limitations is to feed a bus back to an input channel, but it sucks that you would then need to double the amount of outputs used, which would suck especially if you have multiple different tech mixes

Sheldon Radford

• Avid VENEU Home Page
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »

Sorry folks, I mis-read the original post. What I described works great when you have an important talker (musical director, or ME) who wants to talk over a number of other talkers.

Let's try again...whenever one of several tech talkback mics is live duck the cue mix. Got it.

Same approach applies:
  • Combine the tech mics in a mono matrix, to create a summed result
  • Route this matrix's output through a dummy (bypassed) plug-in and bring it back into an input channel on the console. This becomes the "key" source.
  • Loop the cue bus out and back into the console (most folks do this using the AES in/out) and return this to another input channel. Watch out for feedback loops. Never PFL this channel, and don't assign it to the LR bus if you use Mix to Monitors.  :o
  • Insert a comp (or better yet, an actual ducker like the Serato Rane series Gate/Ducker) on this cue bus "return" input channel.
  • Set the comp/ducker key input to be the summed mic "return" channel created in step 2 above.
  • Route both channels directly to a stereo matrix (PQ) bus as User Inputs. The output of this bus then feeds the cue IEM.

This is just one approach. If switches/GPI were involved this could be handled in a slightly simpler way, using the Events system.

Sheldon Radford
Avid

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.