ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aircraft Hanger Acoustics  (Read 16306 times)

Carsten Lang

• Harmonic Sound
Re: Aircraft Hanger Acoustics
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 04:01:05 AM »

i agree with all, that best way to go is a lot of speakers nearer to the audience.
but if there is no money for a delay, i doubt that there is any money for extra speaker or even amps which you will need for a delay.

maybe there is another option.
hangar are big. and most events don´t need this much space.
so why not start with a better sound befor the event starts, with a right planing.

think about where to place the event in this hangar.
i think that the positon of the audience and the stage in the hangar will help also.
haven´t tried it yet, i can imagine that this is the better way
*                   s aaaaaaa*

than that
*s aaaaaaa                   *
... for the audience, not the band (for them it will be better the other way)

maybe this is worth a thought.

carsten

Ryan Rife

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 05:42:12 AM »

My AFSC is 3d1x3, RF Transmissions Tech.

As for equipment available I'll have to get back with you all for specifics. The rack I use has a mackie mixer, then a compressor, a DSP with auto feedback suppression, that RTA input, and various patches to set up crossovers, Shure wireless microphones, and two crown poweramps. I can probably get 1 more power amp from another rack if I need it.

Speakers are all JBL. There are two cabinents with a 10' and a tweeter, and 4 with 12' and a tweeter.  We have more speakers in storage, but I think they are all massive cabinets and subs. Not anything I can put on a speaker stand.

As for raising the speakers higher than a stand, I don't have the clout to pull that off on a regular basis, but if we ever have an event in the future that is really high profile I'll see if I can get help with it.   

EDIT: The Compressor is a DBX 1066, and the DSP is a DBX Driverack 260.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:50:41 AM by Ryan Rife »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 09:21:46 AM »

My AFSC is 3d1x3, RF Transmissions Tech.
35E20  40+ years ago so I don't even remember what that is. Something electronic that was awarded to me for civilian experience before I was drafted.
As for equipment available I'll have to get back with you all for specifics. The rack I use has a mackie mixer, then a compressor, a DSP with auto feedback suppression, that RTA input, and various patches to set up crossovers, Shure wireless microphones, and two crown poweramps. I can probably get 1 more power amp from another rack if I need it.

Speakers are all JBL. There are two cabinents with a 10' and a tweeter, and 4 with 12' and a tweeter.  We have more speakers in storage, but I think they are all massive cabinets and subs. Not anything I can put on a speaker stand.
Old speakers doesn't mean they are bad...  More speakers closer to the meat in the seats, is better than a few speakers far away. More amps would be useful too but you can probably double up similar speakers on amp channels of modern amps. (observe speaker impedance and amp drive capability). 
As for raising the speakers higher than a stand, I don't have the clout to pull that off on a regular basis, but if we ever have an event in the future that is really high profile I'll see if I can get help with it.   
You can only do what you can do...
EDIT: The Compressor is a DBX 1066, and the DSP is a DBX Driverack 260.
You just need to do the best you can do with the tools you have. Understanding the problem is a start... sending sound at the peeps and not spilling over into walls and ceiling is a start.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »

Yes and no......but mostly no. 

There are easier and more effective ways to maximize your system capability by simply using your graphic EQ.  If you don't have a graphic EQ, you're kind of crippled.

If you'd like a PDF of how to "ring out" your system, send me your email address in a PM and I'll send it to you.  I cannot attach PDF's here or to PM's.

Dick-

Please post your suggestion(s) in plain text.  If pictures are included in your PDF, and we are still interested after reading the text, we may then request the "whole enchilada".

-Dennis

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »

What's this "we" thing? Do you have a turd in your pocket?

Carry on Dick.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

Dick-

Please post your suggestion(s) in plain text.  If pictures are included in your PDF, and we are still interested after reading the text, we may then request the "whole enchilada".

-Dennis

I've posted the method a half-dozen times.  If you don't know how to ring out a room with a graphic, I'll happily send you the method.  It's nothing novel and I suspect that 90% of the folks who have been doing sound for more than a couple of years already know how to do it.  But it's just easier to do an Email dialogue with GEQ noobs than futz around with a thread.

In a nutshell:

Raise each band slider one at a time starting with the low end of the GEQ to identify hot frequencies.  Attenuate as needed.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

More than that, send me a PM and I'll happily guide you through it more thoroughly.

Bob....

Thanks, as usual. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.