ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Aircraft Hanger Acoustics  (Read 12266 times)

Jerome Malsack

Re: Aircraft Hanger Acoustics
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:01 pm »

Another thing to consider is to see if you can put the speakers in one position.  Don't do two speakers with one on each side of the stage.  If pattern control is not an option than stacking the speakers in one column may reduce the problem a little.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 06:31:17 pm »

Another thing to consider is to see if you can put the speakers in one position.  Don't do two speakers with one on each side of the stage.  If pattern control is not an option than stacking the speakers in one column may reduce the problem a little.
Huh?  I think he'd be much better off with lots of speakers (each covering a small area - think bunches of delay stacks).  That would keep the sound pointed at the water bags (and off of the surfaces), and less level would be needed from each speaker to be heard.  That's a win/win.  The only way to fight the reverberant field in a space like that is to avoid exciting it in the first place.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 07:16:49 pm »

Huh?  I think he'd be much better off with lots of speakers (each covering a small area - think bunches of delay stacks).  That would keep the sound pointed at the water bags (and off of the surfaces), and less level would be needed from each speaker to be heard.  That's a win/win.  The only way to fight the reverberant field in a space like that is to avoid exciting it in the first place.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 07:41:02 pm »

That would be fine if the user has multiple digital delay devices to set up and time align.  Set up main and second line time align move to row three and time align move to row 4 and time align. 
What about the cables for the power?  If he used a wireless delivery.  or the power and cable to each speaker. 

In the basket ball gym at La Plata there is a 70v system with out time delay and has 12 speakers on the ceiling.  The reverb extends well out past the 300 ms time on Home Theater REW  room EQ wizard.   Cheap rough program that shows some data mostly  Did not do the RT60 with a baloon to give them the worst number.

Put a couple of those helocopters in the back to create sound defusers.   

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 07:45:18 pm »

That would be fun  using assisted listening devices ,  Most of the military types have hearing loss from the jets, guns, and bombs. 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 07:55:35 pm »

That would be fine if the user has multiple digital delay devices to set up and time align.  Set up main and second line time align move to row three and time align move to row 4 and time align. 

So, what's the problem? This is how it's done every day in convention centers around the world. This is what corporate event audio is all about, well that and no mistakes, lots of RF, wearing a headset all day.

Lots of speakers, distributed, aimed down at the audience, and properly delayed is the way to get the best STI in a big reverberant space like a large airplane hanger.

Mac

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 09:41:07 pm »

That would be fine if the user has multiple digital delay devices. 

I carry 5 Behringer Sharks.  and these are still prone to failure but that is what I can afford. 
I purchased them used on Ebay around 40 each.  Some have the deep pockets to pay and the rest have to suffer and try and get by.  Using a single source point is lower cost for the people that don't have the deep pockets and reduces the problems.  Getting this single source of sound over their heads also reduces the problem.  Getting the audience into the direct sound and out of the reverb.   

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 10:04:14 pm »

That would be fine if the user has multiple digital delay devices. 

I carry 5 Behringer Sharks.  and these are still prone to failure but that is what I can afford. 
I purchased them used on Ebay around 40 each.  Some have the deep pockets to pay and the rest have to suffer and try and get by.  Using a single source point is lower cost for the people that don't have the deep pockets and reduces the problems.  Getting this single source of sound over their heads also reduces the problem.  Getting the audience into the direct sound and out of the reverb.

Go back to the OP and read the part about this being for the USAF. It really is standard operating procedure on every show I do. With 3 MY8-DA cards even an M7CL-32 can do 36 delay taps. With MY16-AE cards 64 delay outputs. A Meyer Galileo, 16 delay outs.

Delay is a common part of system optimization at all levels since it so easy to do. Even on a small show I will typically have at least 1 delay to match front fills to mains, 1 to match flown center fill to mains, and whatever may be needed for delay speakers farther out in the audience.

Mac

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 10:17:44 pm »

And still the deep pockets and believing the milatary has money.  Fort Meade will have a command go to VI to get a system and they come back with two speakers on sticks and a 50 foot mic cable with a mic.   This they put in the hanger and call a speaker system. 

Fort Meade has talent was going to try and do full band with 4 mics and a 16 channel analog mixer.   No delay's or external processing.  MWR reps were going to be running this.  Sometimes it is a Sargent who has no clue.  turn it up and keep it from squeel. 

Not every base has the OLD Guard with the Honors Band from DC to support functions.   

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Aircraft Hanger Acoustics
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 12:13:56 pm »

And still the deep pockets and believing the milatary has money.  Fort Meade will have a command go to VI to get a system and they come back with two speakers on sticks and a 50 foot mic cable with a mic.   This they put in the hanger and call a speaker system. 

Fort Meade has talent was going to try and do full band with 4 mics and a 16 channel analog mixer.   No delay's or external processing.  MWR reps were going to be running this.  Sometimes it is a Sargent who has no clue.  turn it up and keep it from squeel. 

Not every base has the OLD Guard with the Honors Band from DC to support functions.

Jerome, why are you being so argumentative? This thread has good advice. The OP has to decide how to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

Aircraft Hanger Acoustics
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 12:13:56 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.