ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UnSHURE which wireless system to buy!!!  (Read 5354 times)

Ian Appleby

UnSHURE which wireless system to buy!!!
« on: March 29, 2013, 04:52:37 PM »

OK,

So i rent a'lot of wireless systems and i am once again out of wireless for my customer's.
Right now i have four 6 space cases with rack draws and 4 EV RE-2 with APD4+ system. Each system has a small distro with Power Cons through to connect up to 4 racks. The total wireless i can run is 16. They have been great systems and brought me to where i am today. I need more wireless and i am trying to decided to go between the Sennheiser EM 1046 system which will run 8 wireless in a three rack space space or go with the Shure ULX-D Quad which will run 4 on single rack space. Now the reason i want to go with the combined system is to keep the rack size down when i need to run up to 16 wireless at a time. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these system and or have an opinion on one or the other. I want to jump into the high end wireless systems but still not burst the bank.

- Ian
Ian Appleby
Dynacord Cobra 2 / EV Phoenix, ZX3 / A&H QU32

Scott Helmke

Re: UnSHURE which wireless system to buy!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »

We have a large stock of Shure UHF-R, and a few months ago added a dozen channels of ULX-D.  The ULX-D has become very popular, both for the rack density and also because it's easy to fit a lot of channels into existing spectrum.  Big (20-40 channel) rentals have gotten easier to coordinate.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »

We have a large stock of Shure UHF-R, and a few months ago added a dozen channels of ULX-D.  The ULX-D has become very popular, both for the rack density and also because it's easy to fit a lot of channels into existing spectrum.  Big (20-40 channel) rentals have gotten easier to coordinate.

I agree on the ULX-D, although they do have one minor downside. There is no headphone monitor jack. This makes it a bigger deal to provide a quick way for the backstage A2 or RF tech to monitor the mics. Its near immunity to transmitter to transmitter intermod is a huge plus.

It's hard to beat the ch/RU ratio of the ULX-D, although the Lectrosonics Venue gets 6 receivers in 1RU, and is also an excellent pro system. it does have a headphone monitor.

Mac

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »

OK,

So i rent a'lot of wireless systems and i am once again out of wireless for my customer's.
Right now i have four 6 space cases with rack draws and 4 EV RE-2 with APD4+ system. Each system has a small distro with Power Cons through to connect up to 4 racks. The total wireless i can run is 16. They have been great systems and brought me to where i am today. I need more wireless and i am trying to decided to go between the Sennheiser EM 1046 system which will run 8 wireless in a three rack space space or go with the Shure ULX-D Quad which will run 4 on single rack space. Now the reason i want to go with the combined system is to keep the rack size down when i need to run up to 16 wireless at a time. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these system and or have an opinion on one or the other. I want to jump into the high end wireless systems but still not burst the bank.

- Ian
Hi

The Sennheiser 1046 receiver system is a 20 year old design, that is very very expensive, but was THE best receiver system for multichannel setups when it was introduced. However it is not really something to consider for your needs, as it only works with the 5212 beltpack, which would set you back around 7,000 USD pr. channel.
The ULX-D was designed as a system for conference/HOW use and the audio quality is not really that great for singing. I have seen some impulse response measurings of the ULX-D that seems to indicate that the auto gain thing has some drawbacks... If you mostly rent to conferences and that kind of stuff buy the ULX-D, if you do more critical music stuff get a Sennheiser Evolution G3 or 2000 system.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »

I have seen some impulse response measurings of the ULX-D that seems to indicate that the auto gain thing has some drawbacks

Have you seen impulse responses from any other system?  with companding...ie...most of them?

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 05:21:24 AM »

Have you seen impulse responses from any other system?  with companding...ie...most of them?
Yes, and the ULX-D was uglier than a HDX compander system as i recall.

Gary Green

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »

If you mostly rent to conferences and that kind of stuff buy the ULX-D, if you do more critical music stuff get a Sennheiser Evolution G3 or 2000 system.
Depends on the critical stuff - If you have set your sensitivity to a whispering woman holding the transmitter a foot away hand off the mic to big loud ball cupping entertainer, I would much rather have the ULXD. The auto sensitivity saves you here. I'm not thinking about impulse response measurements and how they look on a laptop at this moment, I am grateful for the lack of distortion. The ULXD responds like at wired mic at the console...and sounds like one.  I was getting so tired of setting belt pack and HH transmitter sensitivity differently every day hoping the unexpected didn't occur. My  UHF-R has sat for better part of the year since getting the D. Add this to the long long lasting rechargeable battery system and my RF routine is radically different for the better. My 2 cents.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »

After doing a Road Test on the Line 6 XD-V70 wireless, I picked up a bunch of them to add to my inventory of Shure wireless. The Line 6 belt packs are built like tanks and the handheld not only sounds pretty good on its own, but can accept any aftermarket head that uses the Shure/Lectrosonic thread standard.  The new units are called the XD-V75.

Recently I did an install and we went with the Shure ULX-D units with Beta 87C heads. I would reccomend either product for rental use although I would probably opt for using SM58 heads for rentals.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »

System on the right is Shure ULX-D...
Depends on the critical stuff - If you have set your sensitivity to a whispering woman holding the transmitter a foot away hand off the mic to big loud ball cupping entertainer, I would much rather have the ULXD. The auto sensitivity saves you here. I'm not thinking about impulse response measurements and how they look on a laptop at this moment, I am grateful for the lack of distortion. The ULXD responds like at wired mic at the console...and sounds like one.  I was getting so tired of setting belt pack and HH transmitter sensitivity differently every day hoping the unexpected didn't occur. My  UHF-R has sat for better part of the year since getting the D. Add this to the long long lasting rechargeable battery system and my RF routine is radically different for the better. My 2 cents.
Well, the UHF-R and other Shure systems is not really that great regarding noise, try a comparison with a Sennheiser 2000 system (or Lectro, Audio Ltd., wisycom etc.) if you get the chance.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.