ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi Channel 25V Amplifier  (Read 10486 times)

Alan Clayton

Multi Channel 25V Amplifier
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:13:22 PM »

Hey all. Been a while!

I'm working trough a concept. I need a multi-channel amplifier capable of 25Volt constant voltage output. When I say multi-channel, let's say 12 or more. I DON'T need a lot of power per channel, 5-10 watts per channel. Don't need processing, since it's for a paging application, it needs to be reliable, but not "High Quality" (Sub 1% THD not necessary.)
More concerned about high channel density in a small package: 1 or 2 Rack spaces per 12 or 16 channels. Moduler would be cool, card cage with individual amps inserted.  (I'm well familiar with the standard fare, Crown Cts, QSC CX, Ashly ne, LabGruppen, etc. Not what I'm looking for.)

Is anyone aware of such a beast?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Multi Channel 25V Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »

that is not a common configuration.

Are you saying 12 or more individual 10W channels?

I didn't see TOA or Peavey listed, they both have significant installed sound offerings while nothing exactly like you describe.

25V is a fairly standard (low) constant voltage. Can you rephrase your request with clearer matrix if how many inputs feeding how many 10W outputs, overlap between inputs/outputs? 

You may need to mix and match mixers with small shoebox amps. I've seen CV amps as small as 5W. Few modest install mixer-amps support much more than 8 inputs IIRC.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »

Hey all. Been a while!

I'm working trough a concept. I need a multi-channel amplifier capable of 25Volt constant voltage output. When I say multi-channel, let's say 12 or more. I DON'T need a lot of power per channel, 5-10 watts per channel. Don't need processing, since it's for a paging application, it needs to be reliable, but not "High Quality" (Sub 1% THD not necessary.)
More concerned about high channel density in a small package: 1 or 2 Rack spaces per 12 or 16 channels. Moduler would be cool, card cage with individual amps inserted.  (I'm well familiar with the standard fare, Crown Cts, QSC CX, Ashly ne, LabGruppen, etc. Not what I'm looking for.)

Is anyone aware of such a beast?

Why not the usual suspects if they fulfill the spec? Anything over 80W/8Ω will give you at least 20W/25V. Two Powersoft OttoCanali 1204 will give you 16ch of 80W/8Ω amplifiers in 2 RU. If you hang 20W worth of 25V transformers on each channel you will be at a load on the amp of about 20Ω/ch.

Mac

Alan Clayton

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »

Thanks guys for your input

Well, Like I said, it's a concept. Just wondering if there was anything out there that I had not seen.

If you are familiar with the Bogen/Dukane/Rauland systems, central amplifier with switching cards. Looking to do something similar, but instead have a dedicated amplifier channel for each "port."

It's not really a matter of power, or how many speakers on a channel, as there would be no more than 1 or 2, 8" garden variety ceiling speakers on each channel.

So high density, low power, compact package, 25 Volt. The closest I've come is an IED
16 channel, but it's much bigger and more w/ch.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »

A Biamp AudiaFLEX with six IP-2 input cards and six PA-2 amp cards can give you 12 mic/line in and 12 amp channels out at 5W or 10W per channel all in 2RU, but the amps are intended to drive 4, 6 or 8 Ohm low impedance loads.

The Biamp MCA 8050 with the optional TDT50 output transformers would give eight 50W 25V/70V/100V channels in 2RU.

Four Stewart Audio FLX80-4-70V amps would provide sixteen [email protected]/100V channels with DSP in 2RU.

Richard Turner

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »

Didnt the old school PA stuff work the opposite way, 1 large amplifier and a switchbank , toggled which speakers you wanted to adress on and off with a bank of switches?

How may sources in and how many zones out do you need?
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Alan Clayton

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »

Didnt the old school PA stuff work the opposite way, 1 large amplifier and a switchbank , toggled which speakers you wanted to adress on and off with a bank of switches?

How may sources in and how many zones out do you need?

Yes, but you have some issues with that. For example, a room tapped at one watt might be fine for one classroom, but too loud or not loud enough for another. Or fine one year when it's a High School Classroom, but not the next year when that room becomes a resource room. The only way to change is to pull & re-tap the speaker. With an amplifier channel dedicated to the point, you could make a volume adjustment at the head-end, perhaps even remotely.

And remember that these systems were designed when amplifiers were big and expensive, as was computer controlled matrix.

In my concept, it would be scalable. A card cage with plug in amps? 1 Amp per card?
16 Channel card cage?  1/2 dozen inputs,  200, 300, 500 outputs?

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »

In my concept, it would be scalable. A card cage with plug in amps? 1 Amp per card?
16 Channel card cage?  1/2 dozen inputs,  200, 300, 500 outputs?

Well, my opinion given that, is that you need to look beyond "old technology" and into powered IP addressable speakers. But don't ask me if something that fits that exact spec exists.

-Hal

Alan Clayton

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »

Well, my opinion given that, is that you need to look beyond "old technology" and into powered IP addressable speakers. But don't ask me if something that fits that exact spec exists.

-Hal

Fair enough, but powered IP addressable speakers are still big bucks, > $300 per speaker + POE switches, software, interfaces etc... "Old Technology" is @ $200, which is the neighborhood I'm aiming for.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »

Fair enough, but powered IP addressable speakers are still big bucks, > $300 per speaker + POE switches, software, interfaces etc... "Old Technology" is @ $200, which is the neighborhood I'm aiming for.

Yeah, but what you want doesn't exist. Kinda like what's happening with business phones, they are all going IP now. They cost twice as much as the old analog or digital but soon they will be your only choice. Not real great to hear if you need a couple of hundred.

-Hal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.