ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi Channel 25V Amplifier  (Read 10482 times)

Scott Hofmann

Re: Multi Channel 25V Amplifier
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »

I guess I just don't understand why this is such a complicated problem. If you want remote, individual, adjustable volume levels for the speakers in each room, why can't you have one large 25v amplifier and then a 25v volume control (transformer) for each room on rack panels next to the amp. You would have to run separate speaker lines to each room anyway with the "amplifier per room" approach. www.lowellmfg.com/technical/audiospecs/1179%20LVC%20Series%20volume%20controls.pdf
Scott Hofmann

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 05:22:41 PM »

I guess I just don't understand why this is such a complicated problem. If you want remote, individual, adjustable volume levels for the speakers in each room, why can't you have one large 25v amplifier and then a 25v volume control (transformer) for each room on rack panels next to the amp.

I would think that would be the first thing to come to mind so I didn't even mention it. Looks like posts #5 and #6 skirted the issue. I think he's looking for multiple sources also?

-Hal

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »

I was just going on the basis of his first post which said it was a paging application.
Scott Hofmann

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 12:34:04 AM »

Yeah, but what you want doesn't exist. Kinda like what's happening with business phones, they are all going IP now. They cost twice as much as the old analog or digital but soon they will be your only choice. Not real great to hear if you need a couple of hundred.

-Hal
Phone systems are changing.  Over all cost is coming down, if you look past the old school “big names”  They are use to selling VERY expensive head units and reasonably expensive phones.  Now a phone system just needs a low end server and some network switches.  Intercom is taking the same route.  I have worked with the Bogen and Simplex systems.  The Simplex is similar to what the OP is talking about.  I think it is over priced junk, but then that could also be the fault of a sloppy company getting all the local installs about a decade or two ago.

Very high channel count and density is easy, nothing more than an IC with a heat sink now.  However the cost to home run “special” cable drives the cost up.  Inflexibility of such a system is also a big problem.  The cost of VOIP is dropping very fast.  If I were specking a system that needed individual control like that I would jump right to VOIP.  Any modern building is going to have a network system any way.  Just build communication into it directly.  In the long run the cost is lower.

As for volume per room they already have speakers with volume controls build in.  All those problems have been solved for 30+ years.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 07:47:16 AM »

Yes, but you have some issues with that. For example, a room tapped at one watt might be fine for one classroom, but too loud or not loud enough for another. Or fine one year when it's a High School Classroom, but not the next year when that room becomes a resource room. The only way to change is to pull & re-tap the speaker. With an amplifier channel dedicated to the point, you could make a volume adjustment at the head-end, perhaps even remotely.

And remember that these systems were designed when amplifiers were big and expensive, as was computer controlled matrix.

In my concept, it would be scalable. A card cage with plug in amps? 1 Amp per card?
16 Channel card cage?  1/2 dozen inputs,  200, 300, 500 outputs?
Also keep in mind that many newer school announcement or paging systems are also intended to be able to serve as Emergency Communication or Mass Notification Systems which can get into numerous other specific requirements in terms of the intelligibility provided, being monitored and so on.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 07:47:16 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.