ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power & DMX run together  (Read 5425 times)

Nate Armstrong

Power & DMX run together
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »

I will be doing an install soon. I think I know the answer to my question but I want to make sure.

I was curious if i could do my Power Run parallel with my DMX runs together in a bundle under a stage.  It will be much more difficult to do 2 separate runs b/c of all the items already under the stage.

Power cable = SOOJW 14/3
DMX cable  =  110 ohm Data DMX cable
40 + fixtures and with 9 isolated DMX runs  ( dmx splitters )
Each run length 20 ft to 120 ft. 

Normally I would know that it can not be done but thought it may be an exception due to shielding in the dmx cable

James Feenstra

Re: Power & DMX run together
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »

I know in some circumstances (in regards to actual building code) power and signal cable aren't allowed to share a conduit.

If you're not using conduit, there shouldn't be an issue, seeing as how they generally share the same space to begin with (snakes/on truss/etc)
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Josh Daws

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

I know in some circumstances (in regards to actual building code) power and signal cable aren't allowed to share a conduit.

this has been my experience with permanent installations. in temporary installations (concerts/festivals) this doesn't matter (as james said), moreso because you are not ever (more maybe extremely rarely) not going to be running you cables in conduit/pipe.

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »

no conduit just bundled and cable managed.. I was worried about interference from the power cable

James Feenstra

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »

this has been my experience with permanent installations. in temporary installations (concerts/festivals) this doesn't matter (as james said), moreso because you are not ever (more maybe extremely rarely) not going to be running you cables in conduit/pipe.
we do it all the time in install situations...which is why I brought it up, as the OP says they're doing an install, not a temporary job

mind you, I use considerably different cable for installs than I do temp stuff, as I can get away with T90 through conduit, and it costs a ton less than SOOJW does
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.