ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Wait Till the PreSonus AI Series Speaker Reviews Roll In  (Read 14824 times)

Nathan D Winslett

I have been in need of a new portable rig events we hold each year and possibly getting into part-time KJ gigs around my rural area. I started the forum search and reading the whats and nots of current crop of powered speakers. Our functions require they sound great for speech, recorded music and vocals for crowds of 200-500.

I was almost set on a set-up with RFC tops and a quality dual 18 sub until I read a post of someone that was auditioning the PreSonus 328AI so I went to youtube and watched them in action at 2013 NAMM - I was impressed and attentive. Can't wait till these start falling into more rigs and more indepth reviews start rolling in. They seem to be exactly what I need.

Nate

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Can't Wait Till the PreSonus AI Series Speaker Reviews Roll In
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »

Thank you for the fan boy puff piece about gear that is not yet in the wild.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan D Winslett

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »

Thank you for the fan boy puff piece about gear that is not yet in the wild.

WOW!!! Guess I am at the wrong forum to express excitement for a product that IS available for pre-order - will be shipping around first of April. How can I be a fanboy for a product that has never been available to the public?

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/PreSonus-StudioLive-315AI-3-Way-Active-Loudspeaker-p/studiolive-315ai.htm

Many other distributors advertising these also.

Moving on... thanks for the input tho.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:25:53 AM by Nathan D Winslett »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »

WOW!!! Guess I am at the wrong forum to express excitement for a product that IS available for pre-order - will be shipping around first of April. How can I be a fanboy for a product that has never been available to the public?

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/PreSonus-StudioLive-315AI-3-Way-Active-Loudspeaker-p/studiolive-315ai.htm

Many other distributors advertising these also.

Moving on... thanks for the input tho.

What makes this model superior to anything else in its price/weight/size/output category?  You say how great it is but don't say why you think that, you don't tell us your listening impressions (even from the lousy environment of a trade show).  That's why I used the term fanboy.

My Samsung Galaxy kicks the iPhone back to China....
My Chevy is better than your Ford...
My kid can beat up your honor student....

See what I mean?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan D Winslett

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:39 AM »

Never said they were great - just said I was impressed with them and was awaiting further reviews of real world usage. The one forum post I did read of an actual pre-release user stated that people will be very impressed with them. If they sound like a monitor with power to push them as PA's - that is what I need. Vocal and speech clarity in a small package - nothing more.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:55:36 AM »

I'll say that the concept of putting user adjustable DSP(31-band eq + 8 band para eq) in each speaker is an interesting concept. If you have outboard gear to handle speaker processing then this isn't as useful, but to me, who doesn't have any system eq yet, the idea of having it integrated into the powered speakers sounds like a good idea. My band's been planning on buying some wedges for a while now and are just waiting for the money to be saved up. I'm going to be paying close attention to the reviews and pricing of these speakers because it might save us from having to buy more outboard gear. Anyway, not saying that their good or bad(I haven't heard them) but I like the idea.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

I'll say that the concept of putting user adjustable DSP(31-band eq + 8 band para eq) in each speaker is an interesting concept. If you have outboard gear to handle speaker processing then this isn't as useful, but to me, who doesn't have any system eq yet, the idea of having it integrated into the powered speakers sounds like a good idea. My band's been planning on buying some wedges for a while now and are just waiting for the money to be saved up. I'm going to be paying close attention to the reviews and pricing of these speakers because it might save us from having to buy more outboard gear. Anyway, not saying that their good or bad(I haven't heard them) but I like the idea.

I have long been predicting that processing power would gravitate into parts of the system with line cords, that can't be replaced or integrated into another function. Powered speakers fit that bill.

However because DSP ends up inside a powered speaker, does not mean user should be able to tweak speaker processing. That is the proper work of loudspeaker engineers. Excess DSP horsepower can be used for other system functions like room EQ  or whatever.

Recall that I consider consoles to be today's buggy whips what will eventually go away. Just probably not in my lifetime. 8) 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »

I'll say that the concept of putting user adjustable DSP(31-band eq + 8 band para eq) in each speaker is an interesting concept.
It is also a concept that has been around for many years with some other manufacturers, but reductions in the cost of the associated technology combined with a potentially larger market are now letting it 'trickle down' into lower cost products.

WOW!!! Guess I am at the wrong forum to express excitement for a product that IS available for pre-order - will be shipping around first of April.
A retailer would probably take pre-orders for anything they can as it really doesn't mean anything other than maybe reserving a place in line if the product gets released yet they can use pre-orders to put pressure on manufacturers, appear as future income for creditors and so on.

The actual availability for the AI products seems unknown at this time, the initially reported release date for the AI products was late the first quarter of 2013, which gives them less than a week, however I am currently seeing estimated dates on retailers sites ranging from early April to August (zzounds currently notes August 12 for all StudioLive AI models).  There has been little new information or details provided since some prototype products were shown at NAMM in January and announcing 'estimated' availability dates that are then missed, and in some cases significantly missed, seems to be getting to be an almost standard practice in the markets for these products.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 05:54:01 PM »

Never said they were great - just said I was impressed with them

So you were impressed with a Youtube video?
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Nathan D Winslett

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »

So you were impressed with a Youtube video?

Seeing that I did not attend NAMM 2013 to see them first-hand... yes, I used the presentations they uploaded to youtube to learn about the features. What is with all the slamming at this forum? Have you never seen a TV program and been impressed with something? Why is where I heard about this product so important? It is not like I am screaming at people to buy their crap... I made a human observation that they seemed interesting and impressive and was anticipating them being reviewed in depth. You would think I said Hitler was a God... geesh - enuff with the personal attacks. I guess if I don;t own $300,000 worth of Pro Gear - I am not allowed to have an opinion or express excitement for a new product?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.