ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV ZX1 EQ Recommendations and Misc.  (Read 2223 times)

Dan Brandesky

EV ZX1 EQ Recommendations and Misc.
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:50:23 pm »

I just bought a used pair of EV ZX1s to use as compact stage monitors, and also occasionally as speakers on sticks for small acoustic gigs (they'll look a lot less ridiculous in tiny house shows than the Yamaha SM12IVs I had been using before!). Anyway, now that I've got them, I wondered if any one had established a good "baseline" EQ for them. I almost never get time to play with the wedge EQ before the gig, so I like to have a basic setting to start with, I've found it tends to make the random squeals almost non existent, or at least fewer and further between.

Also, any thoughts on horn rotation? As I mentioned, I'll be using them for both monitors and mains, but most likely always indoors. Is it advantageous for me to rotate the horns such that the 90 degree dispersion is horizontal when they're being used as wedges? Just concerned how that might help or hurt me when using them as regular speakers on sticks indoors.

Thanks for the tips!
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: EV ZX1 EQ Recommendations and Misc.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 08:35:00 am »

Here are the numbers I came up with for using the ZX1s as monitors (on their side, on the floor).  These suggestions were determined by using a TEF analyzer and measurement microphone, and then some further tweaking with a Beta 58 (original, not a 58A).  The EQ was done on an LS9, using Type I parametric EQ.

High shelf: -2.0 dB @ 5.3K
Hi Mid: -1.0 dB @ 1.8K and a Q of 1.8
Lo Mid: -1.0 dB @ 800 and a Q of 3.2
HPF: 170 Hz (this was raised considerably from the TEF value in the listening part of the test)

So that's a pretty good starting point, at least.  I find that musicians often want to hear more top end than this in their monitors, so that high shelf may get flattened out.  I almost always have a FLEX 15 graphic on the output as well, but frequently never have to touch it.

Interestingly, doing the same measurements/tests with the powered ZXA1s, gave the same numbers, except the high shelf was down 3 dB instead of just 2.

I've never bothered to rotate the horns, other than when I first got the speakers, and wanted to see how it was done.  With a bunch of monitors on a small stage, the narrow horizontal dispersion may be an advantage, keeping spill away from other players.  It does spray the sound into their knees and towards the ceiling, but that seems to be the lesser of two evils.

GTD
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:25:00 am by Geoff Doane »

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:03:45 am »

Thanks Jeff, that's definitely a good starting point, just have to convert parametric EQ numbers to graphic EQ. As for the horn rotation, currently I'll only have two monitors total on stage (low budget and small venues...), would this maybe make it worthwhile to rotate the horns?
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:03:58 pm »

Thanks Jeff, that's definitely a good starting point, just have to convert parametric EQ numbers to graphic EQ. As for the horn rotation, currently I'll only have two monitors total on stage (low budget and small venues...), would this maybe make it worthwhile to rotate the horns?
I wouldn't rotate the horns as the monitor angle is pretty shallow already, so more vertical coverage when in monitor mode is probably better. One thing that we've done is put a piece of foam inside the enclosure behind the horn driver to support it as it's not unknown for the horn to snap with the weight of the driver. G

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:03:58 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 24 queries.