ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: any sound quality shootouts for best pa speakers out there?  (Read 30405 times)

James A. Griffin

Re: any sound quality shootouts for best pa speakers out there?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »

I'm reluctant to criticize a system unless I put it up, tuned it, and am mixing on it.

+1.   It's like comparing two cars.   Driver,  road conditions, and traffic play a huge role.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 01:24:27 PM »

Edit: Post deleted, bad day...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:59:42 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
any sound quality shootouts for best pa speakers out there?
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »

Celery, onion & garlic?

I thought it was celery, onions, and carrots?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »

That's the recipe for mirepoix.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »

Nope, think K-Paul...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »

Celery, onion & garlic?

Trinity is redneck mirepoix: celery, onion, and substitute green peppers for the carrots. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Herman Chigrin

Clarification of general question
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 12:04:18 AM »

interesting points.
one responce was about a full range driver being the best but too weak, others generally agree that speaker itself is not the only link in the audio chain. so lets combine those theories and distill a clearer question.

start with a simple scenario:
800 sq.ft. room
50 people audience
well recorded jazz or classical music or opera
100-105 db desired listening levels

what i mean by sound quality is natural sound, grand piano and vocals and acoustic instruments being reproduced with dignity,

we dont need line arrays or foh engineers. we need simple but good speakers. maybe even passive, but not necessarily.

better scientific setting?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 06:35:25 AM »

You make life easy. After hearing them again under conditions where I was the driver, I'll say for your purposes all you need is a pair of the speakers at the link below, combined with a matching pair of subs, all properly powered and processed.

The sound of these cabinets is far smoother than any product in it's class that I have personally heard or used. I tribute that to the 3 way technology, but it doesn't matter. If articulate and clear at any volume are the prime consideration this box is the winner.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=442&MId=3

http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/JBLpro_STX800_Brochure_Web_062112.pdf
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:44:15 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Clarification of general question
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 07:37:47 AM »

interesting points.
one responce was about a full range driver being the best but too weak, others generally agree that speaker itself is not the only link in the audio chain. so lets combine those theories and distill a clearer question.

start with a simple scenario:
800 sq.ft. room
50 people audience
well recorded jazz or classical music or opera
100-105 db desired listening levels

what i mean by sound quality is natural sound, grand piano and vocals and acoustic instruments being reproduced with dignity,

we dont need line arrays or foh engineers. we need simple but good speakers. maybe even passive, but not necessarily.

better scientific setting?
Just to show how "unsimple" the above statement is.

You say 100-105dB.  What does that REALLY mean.  I am sure you know what you think it means-but to others it could mean something ENTIRELY different.

Are you talking about A or C weighting-fast or slow or peak response?

If it was a single number (say 105dB) then you could easily have a 30dB difference in levels-depending on what parameter you place on the measurement.  Now throw in another 5dB and it is a 35dB difference.  That is HUGE.

With a simple statement-you have to put in the parameters to properly define it.

Also you gave the audience size and the square footage of the room.  But you did not give the layout of the people or the shape of the room.

Suppose the room is only 20' deep.  That would make it 40' wide.  That is VERY wide and very few loudspeakers would be able to cover it.

And before you say "that's not real"-how about telling that to the various rooms that are REALLY built that way-yes they exist and I have had to work in them.

Are you only interested in some seats-or all of them being covered?

From what I take your question to really be-how about a good pair of normal "Hi-fi" loudspeakers.  Those would fit your requirements as described-but as soon as you try to put a band through them-they would blow up.

So now we have to describe something else with a different set of requirements.

Not trying to be picky-just throwing some "reality" into the situation.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Herman Chigrin

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »

All valid points.
Also thanks for the JBL speaker link.

To not go into any details about a "theoretical" situation, room, decibels, layout of the audience, let's pose the question differently. After all, the original topic was about general sound quality between speaker brands.

The essence of the question being the same but: 
you are building the venue around the sound system. Venue is not yet built!! Again, you know the audience will be around 50-60 people, but you can choose any brand of speakers to make that sound system. The audience only cares about sound quality and they like classical and jazz music at loud levels (live concert levels). Either live performance or high quality recordings.
You, (or me) as the sound guy, must please the audience at any cost and they are very, very picky when it comes to sound quality.

Why not build the venue around the sound system? But what sound system? You don't have it yet! So what will it be for the speakers?

How bout that?
Herman

p.s. by the way this is a real life situation, not a hypothetical question.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.