ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: seeking a wonderbox.....  (Read 3411 times)

Richard Turner

seeking a wonderbox.....
« on: March 25, 2013, 08:32:01 PM »

Here is the idea I just want to be able to do some VJ shoes or VJ some setbreaks at some jobs I have.

jooking for a splitter box I can send HDMI, or vga from a PC or Mac

sending out to VGA for projector as well as HDMI  output with the possibility of a couploe HDMI over dual ethernet on the same box.

now thw VGA input isn't critical to me, my computers are current and have HDMI out, just if someone else does not would be a nice option

I'd prefer to have an all in 1 box to save having a dongle talk to a dongle talk to a dongle.

I've seen some boxes with 1 in 4 out over dual ethernet but they were total hdmi, the projector is house gear and seeing as they just shelled out for an OEM bulb oover upgrading I think it will be there for a while.

budget is a concern , not interested in multithousand dollar matrix devices.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: seeking a wonderbox.....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:58:10 PM »

For one thing, while there are HDMI-over-IP systems, it sounds like you are addressing HDMI over UTP cable which uses CAT cable but is simply a cabling interface and is not Ethernet.

HDMI also introduces EDID and HDCP issues that can require more advanced management than a simple Distribution Amplifier or DA.  In simple terms, there is two-way communication between the source and display device and when you start looking at multiple sources and/or multiple display devices then supporting the necessary communication becomes more complex.  For example, when a computer signal is routed to multiple displays how is EDID, in which a display communicates with a source to automatically select the appropriate settings, handled?  There are multiple ways to address that but it is more than simply splitting the video signal.

HDCP is an additional issue especially if you are using HDMI and have any protected/encrypted content.  That can also affect being able to convert any protected HD content to an analog output like VGA.

The underlying point is that what you seem to want is possibly not as simple as you make it out to be.

Richard Turner

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:42:13 PM »

Was oroginally thinking this HDMI 1 in  out to 4 dongle decoders over dual cat 5 run per channel

http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/accessories-product/Cab_8159-.html

and then this to downgrade at the projector

http://ca.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/HDMI-to-VGA-Adapter-Converter-for-Desktop-PC-Laptop-Ultrabook-1920x1080~HD2VGAE

I'm fine with the only using HDMI out on the computer end, I will need the VGA output when older projectors are what I end up confronted with.
The other venue I am in talks with is all set up with full matrix switch set up for all tv's in the house so I'm not looking to shell out scads of cash in the event this doesnt fly. How long can HDMI safely run, I'm seeing 100' cables online, are they feasable on the back end of a 4 way splitter?

Audio I know video not so much.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:42:13 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 25 queries.