ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Short throw projector input  (Read 9817 times)

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
Short throw projector input
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »

Does anyone have a favorite or some insight into these?

Need to fill up a 58"x104" screen and space behind the screen is at a premium. The most promising I've found so far is the Optima TW695UT-3D.

Does anyone have any current favorites for this area. Needs to be a current model that can be bought new. I need VGA input for now, HDMI a plus but not necessary. Just going to be displaying Powerpoint and basic business video's.

I don't need 3D or smartboard stuff.

I like the TW695UT-3D as its 3500 lumens seeing as the room it will be used in is a giant glass box with perforated sun shades. I'd love to find a 4K+ option.

This seems to be the max output you can find on short throws without going up to big boys like some of the Hitachi's and such with different lens kits that bump up into the 7K

This is a crosspost from the other forums. Sorry, but I just want to see if I'm possibly missing an option.
I practice safe excursion on the weekends

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
Re: Short throw projector input
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »

Look at Projectorcentral.com for specs.

I've had really good luck with the ViewSonic PJ series. I don't know that you would need brighter than a 3500 lumen unless you have a lot of ambient light. Especially with a short throw rear projection.

Kyle

Spenser Hamilton

Short throw projector input
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »

We use a 3000 lumen Canon proj on our 9x12 screen quite often, I'm sure 3500 will be more than enough.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:15:13 AM »

Look at Projectorcentral.com for specs.

I've had really good luck with the ViewSonic PJ series. I don't know that you would need brighter than a 3500 lumen unless you have a lot of ambient light. Especially with a short throw rear projection.

Kyle

Yep Projectorcentral has been a great place to find out info. I'll have to look into the PJ series a bit.

Unfortunately yes I have LOTS of ambient light. the Joys of working in a LEED Platinum building. I wasn't kidding when I said giant glass box.  :-\ The South/West/North sides are large panes of glass

Here's a picture for reference.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »

And there are no shades or ways to darken the room?  If that room was always intended to be able to serve as a function space and has no way to significantly darken it then LEED or not, someone screwed up.

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »

And there are no shades or ways to darken the room?  If that room was always intended to be able to serve as a function space and has no way to significantly darken it then LEED or not, someone screwed up.

Sadly in that picture the perforated shades are already down.

We have an 8k Christie that does ok on a large screen that comes down from the ceiling. but the ability to have another screen elsewhere on the floor is being kicked around.

Bojan Bajsic

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »

This is full daylight, a short throw projector with 4k lumen """""might""""" be ok, but there is no contrast whatsoever. Looking at the picture, I wouldn't be confortable doing anything projection related there.

You might be better putting up 4 55" LED tvs and arraying them in a 2x2 cluster. You will have enough space, brightness, depth, budget. The only issue is the non-seamless look of the flat screens (in your 4k budget, higher budget and you could get a 100" near-seamless viewing surface).

How big is the 'large screen' and does it block out the sun or is it turned facing it?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »

Sadly in that picture the perforated shades are already down.

We have an 8k Christie that does ok on a large screen that comes down from the ceiling. but the ability to have another screen elsewhere on the floor is being kicked around.

This is really short throw. ;-)

Or this.

Mac

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »

This is really short throw. ;-)

Or this.

Mac

I knew I had seen a 100+" display somewhere. Thanks.

Unfortunately I think the architecture was planned out before technology was thought about. My job is to find out if there is a viable solution to the problem now.

Cluster of TV's isn't going to pass the "Pretty" test of the higher ups. We are looking at getting some 70-80" displays by the sounds of it now, but a projection option is still being discussed.

Ceiling mount screen does not block out any sun. The room is two stories tall. Screen is mounted in the ceiling.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:54:01 PM by Adam Whetham »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »

Cluster of TV's isn't going to pass the "Pretty" test of the higher ups. We are looking at getting some 70-80" displays by the sounds of it now, but a projection option is still being discussed.
Not even a 2x2 array of something like http://www.necdisplay.com/p/large--screen-displays/x551un?  Typically more expensive than a similar size projected image but seems like a possible option in that space.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.