ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ev nd457 any good?  (Read 7968 times)

Ted Christensen

ev nd457 any good?
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »

Wondering if this is a good classic mic or some standard 57 sort of mic..anyone ever use one?
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: ev nd457 any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:39:33 PM »

Wondering if this is a good classic mic or some standard 57 sort of mic..anyone ever use one?

No, nobody ever bought or used them, so EV discontinued them.

Seriously, I liked the 50 series better than I like the replacement 60 series.  The 457's I have are all worn out, likewise the 857's which to my ear were some of the best dynamic mics ever.  I believe it has something to do with the suspension or mounting of the element.  Too bad, but although they are very good mics, they are probably past their prime.  All 5 of my 457's have been put in the junk drawer.

If you've got one that works, you're in luck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tomm Williams

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

Yes indeed, I have one of the 857's and it sounds wonderful. Better than the 967 that replaced it.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:01:51 PM »

I owned 6 of them back when they were a new product (late 1980s), replacing SM57s (with windscreens) for vocals.  They had more output and "sizzle", although some times, (depending on the voice) a little too much.  They were my primary vocal mics for a number of years, until they started failing (don't like to be dropped, who woulda thought?), and were replaced with Beta 58s.  I sold the last one to a singer in a metal band about a year ago.  With a tight pattern, and articulate top end, they're probably a good choice for metal, although they probably pick up more cymbals than you'd like.  ::)

GTD

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »

Hi Ted,

A friend had four 457s.  They sounded ok the last time I worked with them, more than ten years ago.

I have 257s, 357s, a 757 and a couple 767s.

Things to look for on these vintage mics:
) Cracked 'warm grip' plastic part that you hold.  EV still has replacements.
) Cracked bumper ring between the two halves of the windscreen.  If you are lucky, EV might be able to get you one.
) Disintegrating foam in the windscreen and the around the element.  Carefully dig out the rotten foam.  EV can get you a 767 windscreen top with foam.
) Loose element housing.  Glue back in place.
) No or distorted sound from element.  Good luck!

Have fun and good health,  Weogo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.