ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: mac 101's  (Read 10421 times)

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

mac 101's
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »

new mac 101's are awesome
1st post!

No Name

• SR Forums
    • Stage Electrics UK
Re: mac 101's
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »

They are pretty nice wee fixtures.  Saw a wall of them at last years PLASA.  Looks cool in multiples.

Adam
Kind Regards,
Adam Finlayson

Mike Dixon

• SR Forums
    • dbaudiovideo.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:28:41 AM »

I agree.  I just saw a demo of one this weekend and can see it being a very useful fixture.  It is much brighter than I anticipated.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »

Very impressive.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »

+1, nice lights

John Jow

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »

Does anyone know what the MSRP or street price? Also the projected release date. These fixtures are really impressive!

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:09:56 PM »

Does anyone know what the MSRP or street price? Also the projected release date. These fixtures are really impressive!

don't know about price, but one of the companies i work for already has a set.

Neil Juneja

• Muvment Lighting
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »

I've been using the Mac 101s a lot lately and they're fantastic.  I would have never guess from looking at the spec sheet and marketing info.  The only thing I wish it had is color mixing in the lens.  I thought I'd miss a zoom feature, but the fixture really doesn't need one.

Also, Martin's website says they're 2700 lumen.  This has got to be a major understatement.  They outshine my 4k lumen fixutres with new lamps and the same beam angles.

I think MAP is around $2k, but i've seen them advertised on the internet for $1700-$1800.  Martin also says that there are substantial price breaks on quantity.  I don't exactly know what that means.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:12:57 PM »

Your talking alot of money when you start looking at 8+ units and to be fair even 8 isn't really that many is it lol

Neil Juneja

• Muvment Lighting
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »

Your talking alot of money when you start looking at 8+ units and to be fair even 8 isn't really that many is it lol

I would totally agree that 8 is not enough... until i ended up with them last month.  I had 16 spec'd for a gig on a 12' vertical circle truss.  Budget got cut and I ended up using 8.  They far exceeded my expectations. 

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »

You buying some then ;)

Neil Juneja

• Muvment Lighting
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »

I've thought about it and decided that I really prefer renting.  Add the cost of the fixtures, cases, cables, and it would take me over 40 uses to break even from purchasing versus rentals. 

On the other hand, there would probably be almost no maintenance costs and definitely no lamp costs.

I might pick up a big stack when they start hitting the used market in a couple of years.

You buying some then ;)

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 08:31:41 AM »

Wise move unless you think there always going to be out on rentals....... and your right once you add flightcases etc things can become ££££££'s

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »

So for the guys that have used them, how do they compare in brightness/colour to the 301?  Got a boatload of those here (well, the JB version), and absolutely love them.  The zoom is so tight that they can often be used more like a profile fixture.  So, for a lot of the summer festival things (think a 24x32 stage+roof, 4/4 850's a side, getting national acts that are more on the "downside" of their career arc), I think 12 101's down, 12 of the A7s (301) upstage.

James Feenstra

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »

So for the guys that have used them, how do they compare in brightness/colour to the 301?  Got a boatload of those here (well, the JB version), and absolutely love them.  The zoom is so tight that they can often be used more like a profile fixture.  So, for a lot of the summer festival things (think a 24x32 stage+roof, 4/4 850's a side, getting national acts that are more on the "downside" of their career arc), I think 12 101's down, 12 of the A7s (301) upstage.
what kind of trim height are you looking at?

the 101s might not be bright enough for that application, especially if you're shooting video/imag

plus the color is not necessarily white (as you probably know from the jbs) with LEDs unless you get the A/W mixed in there too from some other source
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »

what kind of trim height are you looking at?

the 101s might not be bright enough for that application, especially if you're shooting video/imag

plus the color is not necessarily white (as you probably know from the jbs) with LEDs unless you get the A/W mixed in there too from some other source

Certainly no video.  These are your summer city weekly festival dealios.  Trim height is almost never over 20', lower if it's raining.  Lights are really only effective the last hour (+/-3dB) or so anyway, but I'm thinking we could free up a bunch of copper and switch over to a smaller generator for the gig.  The other thought I've had is leaving the A7's pre-rigged.  I haven't played too much with it, but I think they should be small enough to be clamped to a lamp bar inside the PRT, and just transported that way, saving some time.  My only concern is since there are no pan or tilt locks, how they'd take the bouncing around.

James Feenstra

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 01:11:12 AM »

Certainly no video.  These are your summer city weekly festival dealios.  Trim height is almost never over 20', lower if it's raining.  Lights are really only effective the last hour (+/-3dB) or so anyway, but I'm thinking we could free up a bunch of copper and switch over to a smaller generator for the gig.  The other thought I've had is leaving the A7's pre-rigged.  I haven't played too much with it, but I think they should be small enough to be clamped to a lamp bar inside the PRT, and just transported that way, saving some time.  My only concern is since there are no pan or tilt locks, how they'd take the bouncing around.
given they'll only move in directions they're designed to, I don't think it'll be too bad

at 20' a mac 101 will give you at most 1/4 (1/8 of a nsp and around 1/12 of a vnsp comparatively)of the output in lux as a par 64 medium, so you'll be loosing a lot of brightness over a more traditional fixture, although you do gain color mixing and pan/tilt

since the jb's are considerably brighter, they may be the better option for front lighting
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

John Jow

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »

Does anyone know a company in the San Francisco/Bay Area that has these lights so I can see them in action? Seriously thinking about purchasing them but would like to see them in person instead of online sites to make my final decision.

Thanks in advance!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.