ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Y" Cable Mic'ing  (Read 6957 times)

Jim McKeveny

"Y" Cable Mic'ing
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:03:34 AM »

Scenario: 2 identical mini-condensers identically mounted on 2 violins playing identical music. Ignoring the sacrifice of separate EQ and level, what downside differences are practically realized by "y"ing the 2 inputs to a single channel v. homerunning each mic to their own?

I have heard different opinions over the years. Like to hear more.. 

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: "Y" Cable Mic'ing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:06:05 AM »

What do you gain with a Y that independent channels can't do better? 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Patrick Moore

"Y" Cable Mic'ing
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:08:12 AM »

Do not "wye" two mics to one input.  This could cause damage to your mics or console. 

http://rane.com/note109.html

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:33:19 AM »

The general advice is to not short any low impedance sources together (good advice, it could damage the sources. The console input won't care).

In practice, it depends. Often active mics, use some modest build out resistance, so may not release smoke, but the two outputs will be fighting against each other. Just because they are trying to play identical notes, the signals will not be identical, so one can be zigging while other one zags. 

What's the worst case scenario... you damage mics.

Next worst case, distorted bad sound.

Best case, both sources sum passively and drop down -6dB in level.

Do you feel lucky.... well do you?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »

New wrinkle: each mini-mic has its own preamp before the "y".

FWIW - I have only ever experienced the passive sum and output drop.

Why would any zig v. zag = distortions potential not also present itself at after the channel inputs in summing?

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:31:28 AM »

comb filtering and out of phase content as one is zig to the zag. 

There is a way to place two mic's in series, mic 1, pin 2 from mixer, pin 3 to pin 2 on mic 2 pin 3 back to mixer.  This is Ok for the dynamic but is not friendly to phantom power.  You would need to use phantom power after the combiner and before the mic.   The problem above will still be a problem.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »

Would not the same comb filtering be evident in 2 home runs?

What I am saying is: Are we not simply using the console as an expensive "Y" in this scenario, or - other than the surrender of individual eq, and level - what are the problems?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:41:33 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »

Why would any zig v. zag = distortions potential not also present itself at after the channel inputs in summing?

I have used the circuit in Rane Note 109 many times when I need a cheap solution to sum 2 outputs together. The resistors will fit inside of XLR and TRS connector housings if you're careful. If you need to sum the outputs of 2 preamps together passively this is the way to do it. http://rane.com/note109.html

You can use this circuit for microphones too but you're going to loose a fair amount of output and in the case of phantom power it's going to drop some, but probably not enough to make a difference to the mic.

All that being said I'm not too proud to admit that I have y'd 2 mics together in a pinch. When the band keeps getting bigger but the console stays the same size you gotta do what you gotta do. Overhead choir mics and Crown PCC 160s are the most common things I have Y'd together, but I've also Y'd tom mics together (use placement to get the mix right, works best when the drums sound good and the person on the stool knows how to play).

This is fairly obviously NOT best practice, but it will work if you're really stuck. I have never had any mics get damaged from doing this probably because the current produced is too small to do any real harm.

Matt

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »

No, I factored in that mics were phantom power with active circuitry.

The issue with zig/zag for passive sum after active circuitry is that the drive circuitry inside the mic is only designed to drive the nominal mic preamp input impedance (1.5-2k ohm) to ground. However two mics with say 150-200 ohms, build-out impedance, driving another similar source, could be like driving that 150-200 ohm load to ground (if other mic is perfectly opposite polarity).

This output stage running out of drive current, could be a relatively subtle overload distortion so not very apparent, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

The zig/zag issue is not about how the signals combine, but a local circuit drive current capability issue.

If the active mic uses lower resistor values this issues can be much worse. Dynamic mics will combine with different issues as one mic motor couples to the other.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »

JR-

So if the mic elements received a no-sag drive current, what other issues could there be?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.