ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Y" Cable Mic'ing  (Read 4737 times)

Curt Sorensen

Re: "Y" Cable Mic'ing
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:46:34 am »

I worked a show with Chris Botti and a symphony where his engineer had us place DPAs on the bridges of the strings, and 'Y' each one with a condenser on a stand a foot or two away. We had something like 80 mics on a 48 channel desk. It broke several 'rules' I had in my head, but it appeared to work quite well for him. And I'm not aware of any damage to the hall's mic inventory. I'm not endorsing it, just passing it along. I've also used series wiring with dynamics and didn't hear anything disturbing. As far as what the difference between a 'Y' and a mixer, I'd say it really only matters if there's an issue with the electronics not liking the 'Y'. That said, I'd always prefer separate mixer inputs. It's pretty rare to see similar sources having truly identical settings such as a 'Y' would resemble.
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 10:52:58 am »

This has been my experience, except I have used Senni Mke2 Golds on MZA preamps.

A modern console's  front end is designed to  accept a range of load parameters, impedance, and current demands.

There are no doubt aberations at the fringes of the  twin-mic performance window, but not so much for SR practical demands. But I may be quite wrong. I am open to being otherwise coached.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:11:35 am by Jim McKeveny »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 11:42:38 am »

JR-

So if the mic elements received a no-sag drive current, what other issues could there be?
Not to beat this to death, but it isn't a matter of sag... the mics all receive similar total power via phantom standard. The issue is more like connecting a 4 ohm sub up to a headphone amp, The HP amp is just not designed to drive that low of an impedance with any oompf (technical term). 

Now another consideration for anecdotal reports that it works fine. Mic designers who sell any number of mics to customers prone to experiment, will anticipate and protect against possible abuses. Along that line of thought, I recall old Peavey power amps being capable of working with loudspeaker signals plugged into their input jacks (don't try this with modern Peavey amps).

Ok, so back to the mics.. they may work, and may sound OK, or not sound overtly bad, however unless the mic manufacturer says "go for it", you are on your own, and it is not good practice.

This is a surprisingly common situation, for budget customers, and while at Peavey I came up with a conceptual design to use some of the phantom power available, to make a crude auxiliary sub-mixer/input-expander, with pad, polarity, and gain trims for each. This was  happiest with dynamic mics, but could probably work OK with modest voltage phantom powered mics. Mics that needed every drop of the phantom would not be happy. This never advanced beyond the "what-if" stage because the incremental cost to just buy a larger, new mixer was not so bad, and doesn't require pioneering a new product, for a tiny niche.

For another general observation be careful about extrapolating too much from anecdotal advice or experience. Because it worked for somebody somewhere, doesn't mean it will work for everybody every where. When in doubt, ask the mic manufacturer.

JR
Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.