ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer Buying Advice  (Read 5385 times)

Sam Lightfoot

Subwoofer Buying Advice
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:26:43 PM »

Hi,

I am looking for a pair of subwoofers to go with my JBL PRX-635 tops (I have two).  I was tempted to go for the JBL PRX618-XLF's but the overall opinion on the reliability of the 600 series is not good, with many thermal issues and power supplies being damaged.

I have around £2000/$3000 to spend, and this can be stretched if needs be.

I'm not strictly looking for an active setup, so passive is an option.  I'd just like to get the best for my money.

Thanks.

Richard Turner

Re: Subwoofer Buying Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:47:47 PM »

Hi,

I am looking for a pair of subwoofers to go with my JBL PRX-635 tops (I have two).  I was tempted to go for the JBL PRX618-XLF's but the overall opinion on the reliability of the 600 series is not good, with many thermal issues and power supplies being damaged.

I'm not strictly looking for an active setup, so passive is an option.  I'd just like to get the best for my money.

Thanks.

Start at the beginning and work your way to the end. What do you actually need? What can you physically move around? What are your venues like for loading in/out? Are you happy with JBL product? Matched stacks are more pleasing to look at and easier to sell to clients......
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Sam Lightfoot

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:51:12 PM »

Start at the beginning and work your way to the end. What do you actually need? What can you physically move around? What are your venues like for loading in/out? Are you happy with JBL product? Matched stacks are more pleasing to look at and easier to sell to clients......

I have no issues with transport and logistics.  Venues are always different so I imagine they can't be huge.  Yeah for me the 635's are top notch.  I'm very tempted to go for a pair of XLF's.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:11 PM »

Hi,

Thanks.

Here's what a 535 looks like over 2 K-subs.   

Tom Burgess

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »

I have no issues with transport and logistics.  Venues are always different so I imagine they can't be huge.  Yeah for me the 635's are top notch.  I'm very tempted to go for a pair of XLF's.
I think the XLF's are the perfect match for 635's.  I've done a couple of gigs with that exact rig and was quite pleased with the results.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Subwoofer Buying Advice
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »

You are already kinda knee deep in PRX, might as well go all the way and get matching subs or get out altogether IMHO. While PRX 'issues' do seem to be quite talked about, I can't help but suspect that this is just a small group of problems 'going viral'. There's tons of PRX out there in the wild running awesome for a long time, and it's ways been good to me when I've mixed on it.

You could also get VRX918SP, more expensive but an industry standard and goes lower. I can't throw a stone without hitting VRX in my city.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »

I can't throw a stone without hitting VRX in my city.

Yes. I am very impressed with the marketing gurus at JBL.  They nailed it on several fronts with that series. 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Sam Lightfoot

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:42:02 AM »

Well I can't afford the VRX subs, they are £2000 each in the UK, whereas the XLF's are £1150 each.  I am probably going to go for the XLF's.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »

Well I can't afford the VRX subs, they are £2000 each in the UK, whereas the XLF's are £1150 each.  I am probably going to go for the XLF's.

Unlike many other components in the PRX 600 series line, the 618s XLF cabinets have generally gotten quite good reviews.  I've had problems with the 635 units you like so much (problem with the midrange horn's resonant frequency, which JBL fixed by gluing on a gasket), so YMMV (obviously).  I had problems with three of the four 625 cabinets I bought (blown amps), but they've worked fine since JBL repaired them.  Will definitely be looking at four 618s XLF cabinets and four 615 wedges later this year to complete my B rig.  My experiences haven't completely scared me away. :)
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Subwoofer Buying Advice
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »

In the US those are the list price in dollars - $1150 and $2000. You should be able to get away with 2 of them from a professional dealer for about $3000 here, I thought it might be the same there. All good though - I think you'll be fine with the PRX.

ProSoundWeb Community

Subwoofer Buying Advice
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.