ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do CD diaphragms wear out?  (Read 2716 times)

Steve Kreidler

Do CD diaphragms wear out?
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »

I replaced the CD diaphragm on Nexo PS15 series 1 with a factor new. I was not having a problem with the CD. I just happen to have the factor part and access to the speaker. The old diaphragm looked perfect, even though it was 9 years old. With the new diaphragm, the speaker has 25% better separation and clarity, even though my scope is telling me it has the exact same Freq. response.

Do CD diaphragms wear out? Should I proactively replace the other 2 speaker CD diaphragms?

Thanks in advance.

Steven
"No one can possibly achive any real and lasting success by being a conformist." J. Paul Getty

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Do CD diaphragms wear out?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »

I replaced the CD diaphragm on Nexo PS15 series 1 with a factor new. I was not having a problem with the CD. I just happen to have the factor part and access to the speaker. The old diaphragm looked perfect, even though it was 9 years old. With the new diaphragm, the speaker has 25% better separation and clarity, even though my scope is telling me it has the exact same Freq. response.

Do CD diaphragms wear out? Should I proactively replace the other 2 speaker CD diaphragms?

Thanks in advance.

Steven
Surrounds can work harden and crack, various glues may separate, magnets can de-magnetize, ferro fluid can go bad, folded crimp connections can separate, voice coils can burn, and magnetic gaps, phase plug and screen can fill with crud.
Other than those problems, it is not unusual to see drivers over 50 years old still performing well.

Before replacing your other diaphragms, try a thorough cleaning, and center the diaphragms.

Though many believe diaphragms can just be "screwed in" and work fine, many will not perform perfectly unless centered exactly.
Your other drivers probably can use cleaning and centering.

Steve Kreidler

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »

Surrounds can work harden and crack, various glues may separate, magnets can de-magnetize, ferro fluid can go bad, folded crimp connections can separate, voice coils can burn, and magnetic gaps, phase plug and screen can fill with crud.
Other than those problems, it is not unusual to see drivers over 50 years old still performing well.

Before replacing your other diaphragms, try a thorough cleaning, and center the diaphragms.

Though many believe diaphragms can just be "screwed in" and work fine, many will not perform perfectly unless centered exactly.
Your other drivers probably can use cleaning and centering.

Good thoughts. The Nexo CD diaphragm has alignment studs and cannot shift. When I disassembled it, it had no dust or any foreign material. The old diaphragm looked exactly like the factory new diaphragm.

Thanks,

Steven
"No one can possibly achive any real and lasting success by being a conformist." J. Paul Getty

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »

Good thoughts. The Nexo CD diaphragm has alignment studs and cannot shift.
Steven,

Alignment studs with no "wiggle room" only insure no shift at two points.
They do not insure the rest of the voice coil is perfectly centered, unless the diaphragm and gap happen to be perfect.
Perfection is possible, though not probable.

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.