ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging from suspended theater pipe  (Read 4177 times)

Brian Larson

Hanging from suspended theater pipe
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »

I've got an event coming up in a theater with dead-hung electrics over the stage. I need to hang a horizontal piece of sch. 40 pipe about 5ft down parallel to the electric. I will be hanging no more than 10 fixtures off the pipe.

What is the best way to do this without motors?

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Hanging from suspended theater pipe
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:26:56 AM »

I would use 1 1/2" black pipe for the horizontal. There are a lot of options for suspending the pipe but my first choice would be to use some Mega-Coupler Pipe Adapters with Mega-Couplers from the Light Source. These would screw on to a 5' section of black pipe and provide a nice rigid mounting system to the existing Electric bar.

http://www.thelightsource.com/products/mega-coupler-pipe-adapter-41
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »

I've got an event coming up in a theater with dead-hung electrics over the stage. I need to hang a horizontal piece of sch. 40 pipe about 5ft down parallel to the electric. I will be hanging no more than 10 fixtures off the pipe.

You want to under-hang a batten beneath the existing electric?  Not knowing how long your under-hang needs to be, consider doing it with 10' sections, separately hung.  It will be easier to put up and take down this way.

Use 6' Steel-Flex (preferred) or polyester round slings (away from the lights).  Do a choke on one batten and a choke w/shackle on the other.  You'll get about 4'9" between battens.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:02:57 AM »

Hello Brian;

Things you're not telling us:
How high?
Is there a suitable scissor lift on site?
Will the floor support a scissor lift?
Is this a ladder or scaffold project?
Basically, what does the theatre have on hand for access?
Are you permitted to do this or are you directing a house crew?

Not speaking against other posters, just trying to gain a bit more info' for one and all.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:02:57 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.