ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Hz is the new 50 Hz - ULTRA Music Festival  (Read 70967 times)

Art Welter

Re: 1W or 2.83V
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »

Quote from: paul bell on Today at 02:57:06 am

The sensitivity shows note 3.

"3. Applied RMS Voltage is set to 2.83 V for 8 ohms Nominal Impedance."
[/i]
I did find that on the B&C site.  I thought that 2.83 v was used as a standard and refererenced back to 1w/1m for the driver parameters. 
[/quote]
The footnote makes it rather confusing, but comparing the  η0 of 3.2% does support a 99 dB one watt one meter sensitivity.

The 21 IPAL is rather different, 22mm Xmax, 15mm Xvar, all the other B&C have slightly longer Xvar than Xmax.

At any rate, the IPAL amp and speaker are tied together more closely than in "normal" powered subs allowing for more peak power than the amp itself could normally produce.

paul bell

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »

I'm just having a difficult time accepting that a single cabinet with a single driver can achieve an output of 152 Db. While the IPAL woofer/amplifier is a step ahead of driver design as we know it, it's not leaps and bounds ahead.

As the driver itself appears to have a sensitivity of 90 Db, the cabinet design would need to add 24 Db of sensitivity to reach 152 Db with a maximum amplifier power of 8,500 watts (Ivan, did I get that right?)

I know what it takes to hit 150 Db with bass cabinets, we managed it with two BASSMAX TRIP cabinets at The LAB Sub Shootout NYC a few years ago-some of you were there.

I know Martin Audio is a respectable company and wouldn't fludge the numbers (and I'm certain this cabinet has stunning output) but I want-nay, NEED to see a graph derived from a measured output of the cabinet-and not from Martin Audio.

It was stated above that this 152 Db output was at 58Hz. This is kinda the usual peak output range of most horn loaded subs. What's it's maximum output at 30Hz?

I do wish that ALL manufacturers list the sensitivity of their cabinets with a true one watt input-regardless of driver load. For example, if it's a two Ohm cabinet, adjust the test input voltage to apply an actual one watt as input to determine sensitivity.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »

I do wish that ALL manufacturers list the sensitivity of their cabinets with a true one watt input-regardless of driver load. For example, if it's a two Ohm cabinet, adjust the test input voltage to apply an actual one watt as input to determine sensitivity.
I'm the opposite, it's all about voltage, current and impedance.  That's especially applicable with speakers where their impedance varies with frequency.  But then I'd also like to see a power rating for speakers that represents when any audible change in response occurs and not just some type of failure or major issue.

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
Re: 25 Hz is the new 50 Hz - ULTRA Music Festival
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »

As i am aware of all the active ASX that Martin have sold including the Ministry of sound) has been downgraded to passive due to very poor reliability of the Ipal combo. And as i have heard the active ASX has been discontinued till further notice.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »

As i am aware of all the active ASX that Martin have sold including the Ministry of sound) has been downgraded to passive due to very poor reliability of the Ipal combo. And as i have heard the active ASX has been discontinued till further notice.

Interesting, I had not heard this.  I thought that IPAL was also being used on the MLX which have not been having any issues.  Is this correct?

Lee

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2013, 08:58:28 PM »

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=da&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fshowtalks.ru%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D311.0

I have heard of Martin MLX subs having problems with electronic music...

paul bell

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »

I'm the opposite, it's all about voltage, current and impedance.

While I can't disagree with you Brad, making the industry standard sensitivity rating one watt into it's rated Ohms would level the playing field when it comes to comparing apples to apples.

Imagine if a car wasn't rated in maximum miles per hour but instead fast, faster or plaid. How do you compare?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:38 PM »

Imagine if a car wasn't rated in maximum miles per hour but instead fast, faster or plaid. How do you compare?

Plaid is fastest.  Nobody wants to be caught in it.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »

Plaid is fastest.  Nobody wants to be caught in it.

"They've gone to plaid!!!"
...Barf, Spaceballs
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

paul bell

« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »

I knew that would get some chuckles!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 24 queries.