ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How to avoid feed back from main PA speakers in small set up  (Read 16428 times)

Sougato Chatterjee

How to avoid feed back from main PA speakers in small set up
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:38:53 PM »

Dear Friends:

I often do shows in small venues, churches and banquet halls.  There is not much seperation between the main PA and the stage.  Even though I ring out my monitors, I have often gotten feedback from my mains.  If I increase the main PA output too much, I start getting feed back.  Normally, I do not ring out main PA for feed back.  Is that necessary?  I use a Peavey VSX26 for auto EQ for my speakers.  Then I use pink noise generated from my Behringer X32 to and RTA on my DEQ to check the frequencies.  If necessary, I make minor adjustments.  This gives me a very nice hall sound.  But obviously does not remove feed back potential.  I would like to ask you experts on how you have typically handled such situations. 

Here is what I use:
Behringer X32
Yamaha DSR series main PA speakers
Mackie or JBL powder subs - aux fed
Peavey VSX 26 for PA processor
31 channel EQs for monitors
I have two EQs for the main PA on the Peavey VSX 26, plus I can use two 31 channel EQs for the main PA from the Behringer X32

Thank you very much in advance!

Sougato

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
Re: How to avoid feed back from main PA speakers in small set up
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »

Are the foh speakers located in front of the microphones?  What are the microphones?  What frequency feeds back?

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »

Try running the Autograph EQ with the mics plugged in and live.  You'll probably see a different result.  Now compare that one to one you get without the mics plugged in.  That should give you some clues as to what frequencies are causing you problems.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »

There is not much seperation between the main PA and the stage. 

Do everything you can to fix this.
The farther away you put the speakers from your microphones, the more gain you'll get before feedback.
Granted, you don't always have control over this, but that's the first trick I always employ -- moving the speakers. Sometimes it's not just distance from mics to speakers, but also nodes in the room that create problems for you. If you can't move the speakers a lot, try moving them a little.  Ringing out the speakers is always a last resort for me.  Granted, I do mostly outdoor shows which have far fewer problems with feedback (not many reflections), but moving the speakers out a bit often lets me boost the volume by 3-6 dB before feedback occurs (versus the previous position).

You can also try turning the volume down :)
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »

I use a Peavey VSX26 for auto EQ for my speakers.

There's one of your problems.. stop doing this it's more of a gimic than a useful tool. The rest of your problem is likely related to speaker placement and mic selection.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 12:09:54 AM »

What kind of shows?  Is this solo acoustic?   feedback from what? vocal mic? guitar?

Sougato Chatterjee

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:07:05 AM »

Try running the Autograph EQ with the mics plugged in and live.  You'll probably see a different result.  Now compare that one to one you get without the mics plugged in.  That should give you some clues as to what frequencies are causing you problems.

Thanks!  Shall certainly try that and see how this changes.  Very good point......  I guess this is a bit like ringing the mains, let Autograph basically balance the frequencies. 

Sougato Chatterjee

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:32 AM »

Do everything you can to fix this.
The farther away you put the speakers from your microphones, the more gain you'll get before feedback.
Granted, you don't always have control over this, but that's the first trick I always employ -- moving the speakers. Sometimes it's not just distance from mics to speakers, but also nodes in the room that create problems for you. If you can't move the speakers a lot, try moving them a little.  Ringing out the speakers is always a last resort for me.  Granted, I do mostly outdoor shows which have far fewer problems with feedback (not many reflections), but moving the speakers out a bit often lets me boost the volume by 3-6 dB before feedback occurs (versus the previous position).

You can also try turning the volume down :)
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Thanks for your comments.  It is definitely a combination of speaker position, hall acoustics and number of mics and gain on the mics.  Whenver I have a show in a regular auditorium, this is not an issue.  Only in these really small venues, low ceiling heights, no absorption and so on.  I'll keep trying....

Sougato Chatterjee

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:13:44 AM »

What kind of shows?  Is this solo acoustic?   feedback from what? vocal mic? guitar?

These are band concerts and the feed back is definitely from the vocalists' mics as they move around the stage! 

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »

Thanks!  Shall certainly try that and see how this changes.  Very good point......  I guess this is a bit like ringing the mains, let Autograph basically balance the frequencies.

No, this is a bad idea. These autograph EQ unit are nothing but trouble - this is widely agreed upon by professionals around this board. You shouldn't need to do much processing on a speaker like the Yamaha that has processing built in already, also. I think it's more likely to be hurting your feedback situation than helping it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.