ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Distro Feeder cable question  (Read 9406 times)

SeanHalstead

Power Distro Feeder cable question
« on: March 14, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »

My FOH rack currently consists of 2 Lab Gruppen FP14000, 1 Crest Prolite 2.0 and 1 Crest prolite 3.0. The normal way we would power up this rig is 2 30amp circuits on the Lab's and 2 20 amp circuits on the Crests (one for the 3.0, and 1 for the 2.0 + mixer and a computer we use for lighting software) We have never had a problem doing it this way, but searching venues for the outlets needed is a real pain. I would like to have a rackmount distro made but Im very confused about the feeder cable needed to handle this load. The rack mount distro we would like to purchase would have 2x 30amp and 2x 20amp all on their own circuits and a Input  for feeder cable. Now the part I don’t understand.  What Input connector should I be using and what gauge cable for the feeder? I would think I would need a plug and cable of handling 100amps? From what ive seem this is not the case. Peavey makes a 120amp distro that uses a 50amp plug, furman makes a simillar 100amp distro and ive seen countless others that have a twistlock input for 30amp. Can someone please explain what im missing? I don't want to buy the wrong stuff and have it fail or not be safe to use.

Thomas Lamb

Re: Power Distro Feeder cable question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »

Well as always it depends!

Do the places you go to have a place to "tie in"? Do they have camlock connections available? Do they offer 3 phase service or only single phase? If 3 phase is it 208 wye? If you don't have anywhere to tie in it really doesn't matter.

Our amp racks consist of a somewhat similar setup we use either motion labs or six-2(now triclops) racpacks. The ones we chose have L2130 in and thru. This is a 3 phase connection capable of 30 amps per leg (90 amps total) the way we break it out is 2 L530 circuits and 2 20 amp Edison's (doesn't add up does it?) this comes off of a main 3phase 30 amp breaker where the L5 30 s get a full dedicated 30 amps and the 2 20 amp receptacles share a 30 amp leg. We have never thrown a breaker in this configuration! But for this setup you must have 3phase service available

Many others run single phase setups using 50 amp "California connectors" (2 hot legs 100 amps total) again that service has to be available to you.

As far as cable awg. You need to check the national electric code but I'm pretty sure 10awg is rated for 26 amps and 8awg is 31 or 32. Those are the 2 I deal with.

Others will chime in and don't be afraid to do some searching on the forum. Power gets discussed quite often.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

SeanHalstead

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »

Well as always it depends!

Do the places you go to have a place to "tie in"? Do they have camlock connections available? Do they offer 3 phase service or only single phase? If 3 phase is it 208 wye? If you don't have anywhere to tie in it really doesn't matter.

Our amp racks consist of a somewhat similar setup we use either motion labs or six-2(now triclops) racpacks. The ones we chose have L2130 in and thru. This is a 3 phase connection capable of 30 amps per leg (90 amps total) the way we break it out is 2 L530 circuits and 2 20 amp Edison's (doesn't add up does it?) this comes off of a main 3phase 30 amp breaker where the L5 30 s get a full dedicated 30 amps and the 2 20 amp receptacles share a 30 amp leg. We have never thrown a breaker in this configuration! But for this setup you must have 3phase service available

Many others run single phase setups using 50 amp "California connectors" (2 hot legs 100 amps total) again that service has to be available to you.

As far as cable awg. You need to check the national electric code but I'm pretty sure 10awg is rated for 26 amps and 8awg is 31 or 32. Those are the 2 I deal with.

Others will chime in and don't be afraid to do some searching on the forum. Power gets discussed quite often.

Hey thanks for the reply!

Out of the 3 venues we work in most often, one does have 5 cam loc tails hanging below the breaker panel. One does not have any type of tie-in, But the venue owner is really nice and actually installed 2 30amp twists near the stage for me, so i'm sure I can have him install any type of plug needed. The last is a little sketchy. they use this homemade distro they attach to their breaker panel with car battery type clamps. the panel has a ton of regular edisons and a few twist and range outlets.

So I think I get what I was missing. lets take your L2130 Plug. Its listed as a 30amp plug, but it actually means 30amp per leg. So it can actually deliver 90amps total? so on the breaker side the 3 hot legs are on 3 different 30 amp breakers?

The 3 venues I was speaking about all have 3 phase power available, but im not sure if every venue i'll ever use will have 3 phase. is there a way to have both? or is it possible to just use a 3 phase distro and hook it up to single phase if needed?

Ive searched this and many other forums and have learned. its just nice to have my actual questions answered :) I really appreciate the help.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »

Hey thanks for the reply!

Out of the 3 venues we work in most often, one does have 5 cam loc tails hanging below the breaker panel. One does not have any type of tie-in, But the venue owner is really nice and actually installed 2 30amp twists near the stage for me, so i'm sure I can have him install any type of plug needed. The last is a little sketchy. they use this homemade distro they attach to their breaker panel with car battery type clamps. the panel has a ton of regular edisons and a few twist and range outlets.

So I think I get what I was missing. lets take your L2130 Plug. Its listed as a 30amp plug, but it actually means 30amp per leg. So it can actually deliver 90amps total? so on the breaker side the 3 hot legs are on 3 different 30 amp breakers?

The 3 venues I was speaking about all have 3 phase power available, but im not sure if every venue i'll ever use will have 3 phase. is there a way to have both? or is it possible to just use a 3 phase distro and hook it up to single phase if needed?

Ive searched this and many other forums and have learned. its just nice to have my actual questions answered :) I really appreciate the help.

Yes it is 30 amps per leg available. Only if hooked up to a 3 phase breaker. It should not be hooked up to 3 individual breakers. If one faults you want the whole thing to trip. You CAN NOT run 3 30 amp breakers or even a 3phase breaker in a single phase panel (it may fit I'm not sure. Never tried. Don't do it) if you do this your common will see 60 amps and it can't handle that.

It sounds like you may be better off with a distro that uses California connectors which will give you 2 50 amp legs. You can get adapters for your club that has range plugs.

I personally would steer clear of the club that uses jumper cables! It's not protected by a breaker which makes it dangerous and it's dangerous which is dangerous.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

SeanHalstead

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »

Yes it is 30 amps per leg available. Only if hooked up to a 3 phase breaker. It should not be hooked up to 3 individual breakers. If one faults you want the whole thing to trip. You CAN NOT run 3 30 amp breakers or even a 3phase breaker in a single phase panel (it may fit I'm not sure. Never tried. Don't do it) if you do this your common will see 60 amps and it can't handle that.

It sounds like you may be better off with a distro that uses California connectors which will give you 2 50 amp legs. You can get adapters for your club that has range plugs.

I personally would steer clear of the club that uses jumper cables! It's not protected by a breaker which makes it dangerous and it's dangerous which is dangerous.

Thanks for the reply!

So I spoke with Jim from Ampshop about building my distro and he recommended using a 50a Single phase inlet. And you also said use a 50a connector so thats what I'll do.

My main concern now is how would I hook this up to a 3 phase panel when needed? just use 2 of the legs instead of 3?

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:29:39 PM »

That's a pretty common ordeal it's gonna cost you but I would have a main distro that had 3 phase cam in (mine have thru but not necessary) with multiple Cali connectors out and a few Edison's. we have several racks with rack packs that hook up to it. However to answer your question yes it will only hook up to 2 of the 3 legs this shouldn't cause you a big issue. It is best to have power balanced across the legs as close as possible but you should normally be fine.
bigTlamb

SeanHalstead

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »

That's a pretty common ordeal it's gonna cost you but I would have a main distro that had 3 phase cam in (mine have thru but not necessary) with multiple Cali connectors out and a few Edison's. we have several racks with rack packs that hook up to it. However to answer your question yes it will only hook up to 2 of the 3 legs this shouldn't cause you a big issue. It is best to have power balanced across the legs as close as possible but you should normally be fine.

Ok, I got a quote from Dimmerrack.com for a main distro. it will have 3 50amp, 3 30amp and a few edisions. It was camlock input witch they say has Phase conversion(blue leg is split between red and black for single phase). Then I would just run a 50amp cable to my rackpack correct?

This stuff is expensive :( lol.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »

This stuff is expensive :( lol.
Do it once, the right way, and you'll likely never have to do it again.  Rent if you need to go larger...
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Terry Martin

Power Distro Feeder cable question
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »

Jim does great work at the AmpShop.  I've got 2 of his distros.   

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:32:14 AM »

Jim does great work at the AmpShop.  I've got 2 of his distros.
... but, not ETL or UL listed. (Last I heard.) You may or may not need that certification, but your local AHJ will tell you for sure. Last thing you want is to discover that while onsite at a show....

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:32:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.