ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: airport express vs. airport extreme for LS9  (Read 30699 times)

Mark McFarlane

Re: airport express vs. airport extreme for LS9
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »

If using static addresses you must choose them to be outside the address range supplied by the DHCP service. Why? Well, the DHCP service doesn't know you took one of it's addresses and it may assign it to another device and now you have 2 devices withe same address which will be VERY unreliable.

+1, disable the DHCP server when you are using static IP addresses (or use restrict the addresses that DHCP serves and don't use them for static addresses.

Having DHCP be more reliable than a properly configured static address (including no DHCP server giving out your static address to other devices) basically defies logic.

It may be timing/coincidence that you are finding DHCP more reliable. After a few hundred shows you might see a different outcome, or figure out your access point is overheating,....

However, having developed commercial software on and off for much of the past 40+ years, I can attest that software 'bugs' often cause problems that do not exist in the design.  If DHCP is working for you, be happy and make music and don't fret over the theoretical possibility that you may be crazy, crazy is acceptable, perhaps even normal, in this industry.  ::)
Mark McFarlane

David Parker

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »

+1, disable the DHCP server when you are using static IP addresses (or use restrict the addresses that DHCP serves and don't use them for static addresses.

Having DHCP be more reliable than a properly configured static address (including no DHCP server giving out your static address to other devices) basically defies logic.

It may be timing/coincidence that you are finding DHCP more reliable. After a few hundred shows you might see a different outcome, or figure out your access point is overheating,....

However, having developed commercial software on and off for much of the past 40+ years, I can attest that software 'bugs' often cause problems that do not exist in the design.  If DHCP is working for you, be happy and make music and don't fret over the theoretical possibility that you may be crazy, crazy is acceptable, perhaps even normal, in this industry.  ::)

I think it's great that some of you guys know so much about computers, speak the language, but I do not. I can't even follow the steps you guys provide. I did get mine to work with DHCP and I am happy! There is a glitch in ios5 (I think that's the one) that causes some of the problems. Many of us had exactly the same problem. I'm sure there was a better fix, but mine is working now, and I'm leaving it alone. In my past life as a machinist I went by the old adage, if it aint broke, don't try to fix it! You guys are a true asset to this community.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »

Any time I use static addressing, I disable DHCP. I have tried addresses from both ends of the globe with static and the results are still typical. I'm beginning to be convinced that not all IPADS are created equal? I have another friend with an IPAD mini and with static, it has never had an issue. Same settings as mine for comparative measures too. 

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2013, 12:46:45 AM »

IME:

Default Gateway in all units should be set to the IP address of the router.  UNLESS the router is getting internet access from another router or modem, and you want your devices to have internet access.  In this case, the DG should be the IP of the router/modem that connects to the internet (Windows devices don't care, Apple devices won't connect to the internet otherwise.)  Same goes with Primary DNS and Secondary DNS.

House internet will usually be xxx.xxx.xxx.1, so I make my router 100, and start its DHCP (if I have it on) well above the last IP I'll use (such as 140).

I had a map of my network, but I lost it (aaaaggghhh).

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2013, 02:08:52 AM »

Just I bit of information that might be useful. If you can't remember the DNS server settings when assigning static IPs 8.8.8.8 is the address for Google's DNS server and 8.8.4.4 is their secondary. These should always work, they are what I use when assigning static addresses to any device I deal with. Sometimes they even respond faster than the Internet Provider's DNS server. Anyway this doesn't pertain much to configuring systems that are strictly used for audio work(no Internet) but it is useful for a situation where you do need the Internet.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2013, 02:49:51 AM »

Found the map.  Where the heck is the 'not quick' reply so I can upload it?

I had to modify this in IE, as in FireFox it would not upload the pic.  WTH?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:16:36 AM by Tim Padrick »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2013, 02:49:51 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.