ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KF650z Polarity  (Read 3622 times)

Brandon Wright

KF650z Polarity
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »

Hi Guys,

Last night I was doing some quick and dirty measurements to compare my 650's and to practice more than anything. One thing I noticed right away was that the phase wrapped at around 350 hz, right around the crossover point of the 15 and the 10.

This is processed with with the ux8800, so I didn't expect to see that. Also, I didn't remember seeing that when Ivan had measured Kemper Watson's 650's when powered with my rack.

I think everything is wired correctly, I get continuity from the positive binding posts on the amps to the positive terminal on the 15, and the pins aren't flipped on the xlr between the processor and the amp.

What I am wondering is: should it be wired out of polarity to begin with because the fifteen faces magnet out? So a positive voltage creates a positive pressure, instead of a negative pressure. Maybe the person who had them before me went through them and thought they were wired wrong and changed all of them.

The attached screen capture shows a trace of the original wiring and with the 15 flipped out of polarity.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 02:14:17 PM by Brandon Wright »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: KF650z Polarity
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »

What I am wondering is: should it be wired out of polarity to begin with because the fifteen faces magnet out? So a positive voltage creates a positive pressure, instead of a negative pressure. Maybe the person who had them before me went through them and thought they were wired wrong and changed all of them.

The attached screen capture shows a trace of the original wiring and with the 15 flipped out of polarity.

Thanks.

I would expect that a positive voltage should create positive pressure from the 15. From your measurements it is better that way in both magnitude response and phase response. You may want to ask this question of the EAW Application Support Group to get a definitive answer.

Mac

Peter Morris

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »

Hi Guys,

Last night I was doing some quick and dirty measurements to compare my 650's and to practice more than anything. One thing I noticed right away was that the phase wrapped at around 350 hz, right around the crossover point of the 15 and the 10.

This is processed with with the ux8800, so I didn't expect to see that. Also, I didn't remember seeing that when Ivan had measured Kemper Watson's 650's when powered with my rack.

I think everything is wired correctly, I get continuity from the positive binding posts on the amps to the positive terminal on the 15, and the pins aren't flipped on the xlr between the processor and the amp.

Thanks.

Yep - I think you have found exactly what I found when the 650 first came out.  From memory I think the mid was inverted (may be the mid & high). I believe there was a wiring error in the 3 way mode and it was why they sound so much better in the 2 way mode.

I developed my own settings which had the mid inverted. Sounded way better than EAW’s settings. In two way mode EAW settings sounded great ….
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:57:09 AM by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.