ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projector for church's youth room  (Read 9174 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Projector for church's youth room
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »

Just wanting to see what projectors are good for this purpose; price cap is $700 but $500-600 would be better. I've done some searching on Amazon and found these models but I'm open to any suggestions:

The projector will be mounted on the ceiling(suspended type but there is a beam that may be in the way so we'll need one with a short throw); we'll also be running cables to the back of the room(shouldn't be very far if I remember the room right) to feed the projector. Anyway right now I'm just trying to pick a projector.

Requirements:
  • HDMI
  • VGA(HD-15)
  • Composite Video
  • 720p resolution minimum
  • fairly short throw; I'll have some specifics later
  • <$700  ($500-600 preferred)

It will be used mainly for showing videos, slides with text, and the occasional movie night. Sound isn't an issue; the source will be connected directly to the Peavey suitcase PA in the room(although we may have to run an audio cable from the projector to the PA for the HDMI audio).

As for the mount, I'll either get a generic one from Amazon or the youth director(a welder with the know-how and equipment) will build one. I'll probably have more questions later but just trying to get a feel for what projector to get; also interested in any concerns that I've failed to mention/think of.

Thanks,
Tommy Peel

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Projector for church's youth room
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:46:39 PM »

As for the mount, I'll either get a generic one from Amazon or the youth director(a welder with the know-how and equipment) will build one.
Probably need to identify the screen/image size and be more specific on the throw distance to be sure on any specific models but the above will probably get some flack as anything suspended overhead is one of that last places you want to cut corners or take risks.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Projector for church's youth room
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:52:03 PM »

Probably need to identify the screen/image size and be more specific on the throw distance to be sure on any specific models but the above will probably get some flack as anything suspended overhead is one of that last places you want to cut corners or take risks.

I'm thinking I was told 10ft for the screen size but I don't remember the throw distance. Also the room has a fairly low ceiling so it won't be very high off the ground(though it will still have to not fall). Also do most projectors have a place to mount them? I couldn't find anything specific on amazon about them having mount points. Are there specific projectors that are made for mounting overhead?

Thanks,
Tommy Peel

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »

I'm thinking I was told 10ft for the screen size but I don't remember the throw distance. Also the room has a fairly low ceiling so it won't be very high off the ground(though it will still have to not fall).
Unfortunately, with 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 format projectors and images now being common it is no longer sufficient to address just a diagonal dimension, you have to also address the format or even better, the actual height and width.

In this case, you mention 720p which is 1280x720 resolution and 16:9 format.  However, most of the projectors listed are 1280x800 WXGA, which is 16:10 format.  You can probably use those projectors in either 16:9 (1280x720) or 16:10 (1280x800) mode.  A 10' diagonal 16:9 screen is roughly 4.9' high by 8.7' wide while a 10' diagonal 16:10 screen is roughly 5.3' high by 8.5' wide.  Two different screen sizes depending on the screen format and thus potentially two slightly different throw distances.

Also do most projectors have a place to mount them? I couldn't find anything specific on amazon about them having mount points. Are there specific projectors that are made for mounting overhead?
Many projectors have ceiling mount accessory options or you can look at companies such as Chief Manufacturing, Peerless, Premier Mounts, etc. that offer a multitude or projector adapter and mount options.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »

Unfortunately, with 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 format projectors and images now being common it is no longer sufficient to address just a diagonal dimension, you have to also address the format or even better, the actual height and width.

In this case, you mention 720p which is 1280x720 resolution and 16:9 format.  However, most of the projectors listed are 1280x800 WXGA, which is 16:10 format.  You can probably use those projectors in either 16:9 (1280x720) or 16:10 (1280x800) mode.  A 10' diagonal 16:9 screen is roughly 4.9' high by 8.7' wide while a 10' diagonal 16:10 screen is roughly 5.3' high by 8.5' wide.  Two different screen sizes depending on the screen format and thus potentially two slightly different throw distances.
That makes sense; most of the projectors I looked at were 1280x800 which I think will be fine. I know they already have a screen(the church has a "portable" projector that floats around wherever it's needed on a cart), but I don't know what it's aspect ratio is. If it's like most of the other screens that the church has it's a 4:3. I don't think at 4:3 projector is very approiate for their situation though because they will be watching movies/music videos/other videos on it more than anything else which are usually close to 16:9.

That said a high resolution 4:3(maybe 1600x1200) would still be able to handle HD content and still be able utilize the full screen when the situation warranted it(assuming the screen is 4:3).
Many projectors have ceiling mount accessory options or you can look at companies such as Chief Manufacturing, Peerless, Premier Mounts, etc. that offer a multitude or projector adapter and mount options.
Thanks, I'll check out those mounts.

I'm suposed to go talk to the youth director next week and will have a chance to look at and measure the room. After that I should have some hard numbers to post on here. I was just trying to come up with some ballpark figures and ideas to tell him when I talk to him.

Thanks,
Tommy Peel

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »

A good place to compare projectors and their specs is projectorcentral.com. Look down the left column for the Calculator Pro. It allows many kinds of search functions. Then it give you a list with expected street prices. They don't sell projectors. They just keep specs.

Kyle

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 12:42:36 PM »

A good place to compare projectors and their specs is projectorcentral.com. Look down the left column for the Calculator Pro. It allows many kinds of search functions. Then it give you a list with expected street prices. They don't sell projectors. They just keep specs.

Kyle

That's a great tool, should make it easy to determine whether a given projector will work in the space. When I get the dimensions I have to work with I'll check to see if any of the projectors I found will work.

Just went through and entered the projector's listed above into their search with a 10ft screen size; the results were interesting, the Benq(which is advertised as "short throw" could do it at 6ft while the ViewSonic and InFocus were twice that far. Here is a spreadsheet with the results; I'll be adding to it as I check different projectors.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuxOf6-FKnQKdGxYQjJ1VXkwQURtbkhILUhqZENfOUE&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:05:57 PM by Tommy Peel »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:57:21 AM »

That makes sense; most of the projectors I looked at were 1280x800 which I think will be fine. I know they already have a screen(the church has a "portable" projector that floats around wherever it's needed on a cart), but I don't know what it's aspect ratio is. If it's like most of the other screens that the church has it's a 4:3. I don't think at 4:3 projector is very approiate for their situation though because they will be watching movies/music videos/other videos on it more than anything else which are usually close to 16:9.

That said a high resolution 4:3(maybe 1600x1200) would still be able to handle HD content and still be able utilize the full screen when the situation warranted it(assuming the screen is 4:3).Thanks, I'll check out those mounts.
Don't confuse a projector being able to accept a HD input with it being able to display HD resolution. Most 1024x768 projectors can accept 16:9 HD content, they just display it at a lower 1024x576 resolution.

The other option would be to use a widescreen (16:9 or 16:10) format projector and letterbox its image on a 4:3 screen with some unused screen area above and below the image.  However, 4:3 images would fill only part of the screen height and width.  And since the image is shorter than the overall screen height it would thus has a reduced maximum viewing distance.

If HD movies are that important then maybe they should purchase a 16:9 format screen as well as projector.  And I hope they are properly addressing copyrights for those movies/music videos/other videos.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »

Don't confuse a projector being able to accept a HD input with it being able to display HD resolution. Most 1024x768 projectors can accept 16:9 HD content, they just display it at a lower 1024x576 resolution.

The other option would be to use a widescreen (16:9 or 16:10) format projector and letterbox its image on a 4:3 screen with some unused screen area above and below the image.  However, 4:3 images would fill only part of the screen height and width.  And since the image is shorter than the overall screen height it would thus has a reduced maximum viewing distance.

If HD movies are that important then maybe they should purchase a 16:9 format screen as well as projector.  And I hope they are properly addressing copyrights for those movies/music videos/other videos.

I'll be talking to the youth director later this week to address these questions and will be looking at the room/taking some measurements so I can choose the right projector. Thanks for the advise, it gives me something to think about and some new questions to ask.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 12:09:48 PM »

Ok, sorry for digging up this old topic but we still haven't bought anything yet. I've talked to the youth director and gotten some more specifics on what they need.

The projector will need to throw around 15ft(give or take a few is fine) and the screen is 4:3 and measures 6ft diagonal. The projector will need to be 4:3 native, capable of mounting on the ceiling, and have VGA, composite, and HDMI inputs. There are several on Amazon that have decent reviews and meet these requirements and I'm curious to what model/brand that is prefered for this situation. They'd still like to keep the price around $500 and it will be used mostly for lyrics(text) projection and the occasional video. There will be some ambient light for lyrics but the room will get completely dark for video(no windows).

Also what type/brand of mount do you recommend? The ceiling is a "drop ceiling" and is fairly low(8ft?).

Here are some of the models I'm considering, but I'm open to other suggestions too. Also the price I posted isn't a hard budget and have some give and the cables/mount won't be coming out of it.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-MX660P-3000-Lumen-Projector/dp/B004W8EGRO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=G4C67DF9XOOI&coliid=I9XVVX8V2RMTM

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD6243-300-Inches-1024x768-Projector/dp/B006OAWANA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=G4C67DF9XOOI&coliid=I1MDE5CBQ536VV

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD5533W-Projector-1280x800-Resolution/dp/B00511ITEM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=G4C67DF9XOOI&coliid=I11278BIW8604Y

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »

All of those projectors are good. 15 feet is a pretty short throw. Make sure it will work using the calculator at Projector Central.

I've had really good luck with ViewSonic in the past. I did just install a Panasonic for a customer, but it was $1700.

I have gotten good ceiling mounts on eBay in the past.

You should also consider the cost of lamp replacement on a biannual basis.

Kyle

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »

All of those projectors are good. 15 feet is a pretty short throw. Make sure it will work using the calculator at Projector Central.

I've had really good luck with ViewSonic in the past. I did just install a Panasonic for a customer, but it was $1700.

I have gotten good ceiling mounts on eBay in the past.

You should also consider the cost of lamp replacement on a biannual basis.

Kyle
Thanks, interestingly I was having more problems with the throw being too far for the screen size we have(which I think is a little small but they already have), but yes I was using projector central to check throw distance(great resource). I was leaning toward the Viewsonic because of the brand but the BenQ one has great reviews on Amazon too.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.