ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Hard Disk Recorder  (Read 5379 times)

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
Video Hard Disk Recorder
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:22:42 PM »

I have a speech therapy lab on our campus that has asked us to provide video recording in their therapy rooms. Currently, audio is being recorded onto Tascam HDR1's. These will remain as backup. I have looked at a few options, but just don't have enough experience with hard disc video recorders to know where to look.

The requirements:

1) Standard Definition
2) 60Gb minimum storage
3) Easily editable file formats (uncompressed video is not necessary, but the users need to be able to "snip" portions of the recordings out to use for demonstration and/or research)
4) IP control
5) IP file access

The "nice to haves":

1) remote access to view live video
2) automatic .ftp or upload of video when the recording is stopped.
3) 1 ru

I have looked at products from Sony and DataVideo. Are there other products that any of you have used, or had good luck with? I am not interested in "security" type recorders. In my experience, these devices generally do a poor job of recording and syncing audio with the associated video. Since this is a speech therapy lab, the audio and video sync is very important! That said, if you have used something like this that meets the listed requirements, and it does a good job, feel free to mention it. 

If you have questions regarding the application or need clarification on any of these points, ask away!

Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Video Hard Disk Recorder
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »

I have a speech therapy lab on our campus that has asked us to provide video recording in their therapy rooms. Currently, audio is being recorded onto Tascam HDR1's. These will remain as backup. I have looked at a few options, but just don't have enough experience with hard disc video recorders to know where to look.

The requirements:

1) Standard Definition
2) 60Gb minimum storage
3) Easily editable file formats (uncompressed video is not necessary, but the users need to be able to "snip" portions of the recordings out to use for demonstration and/or research)
4) IP control
5) IP file access

The "nice to haves":

3) 1 ru

I have looked at products from Sony and DataVideo. Are there other products that any of you have used, or had good luck with? I am not interested in "security" type recorders. In my experience, these devices generally do a poor job of recording and syncing audio with the associated video. Since this is a speech therapy lab, the audio and video sync is very important! That said, if you have used something like this that meets the listed requirements, and it does a good job, feel free to mention it. 

If you have questions regarding the application or need clarification on any of these points, ask away!

Thanks!

Pretty much the only video recorder I've seen used for the last couple of years is the AJA Ki Pro. There are several versions, but I mostly see is the original.

It is easy to take the drive out of the recorder and attach it to the edit system via Firewire, and drives are reasonably priced.

Mac

Sean T. Hayes

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:56:16 PM »

I will second the Ki Pro. These are in high demand in our rental inventory. The best option we have found yet.
Sean
-------------------
Sean T. Hayes

A lack of planning on your part does not equal an emergency on my part.

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:24:44 PM »

I will second the Ki Pro. These are in high demand in our rental inventory. The best option we have found yet.
Sean

Thank you Mac and Sean! This looks like a good solution. The API is a bit daunting, but comprehensive.

It surprises me how spendy video hard-disk recorders are!

Sean Hayes

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »

Thank you Mac and Sean! This looks like a good solution. The API is a bit daunting, but comprehensive.

It surprises me how spendy video hard-disk recorders are!

They are not cheap, but we use them because we can record in almost any format which is a big need for what we do in the rental world. There may be a less expensive option out there that only does the format you need, but Ki Pro is considered standard by most in the industry.

We have also looked into Black Magic's Hyperdeck. We were stuck on back order for too long and ended up cancelling our order. Must be having sourcing issues.

Good Luck,
Sean

Sean T. Hayes

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »

They are not cheap, but we use them because we can record in almost any format which is a big need for what we do in the rental world. There may be a less expensive option out there that only does the format you need, but Ki Pro is considered standard by most in the industry.

We have also looked into Black Magic's Hyperdeck. We were stuck on back order for too long and ended up cancelling our order. Must be having sourcing issues.

Good Luck,
Sean

We've got a couple of the HyperDecks at my church.  They work great for what they are so long as you're already using SDI with embedded audio, which we are, and already have a postproduction NLE workflow, which we also do.  They've yet to implement the network control and other things that were promised, but these weren't critical for our needs.  I use SSDs and record everything in 720p using ProRes HQ.  no complaints so far...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »

Pretty much the only video recorder I've seen used for the last couple of years is the AJA Ki Pro. There are several versions, but I mostly see is the original.

Mac

What about the KI Pro Mini?  Does it function similarly as accepting an output from my switcher (HD-SDI) or does it have to be mounted and record directly from the camera?

Mike Brown

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 11:35:01 PM »

The requirements:

1) Standard Definition
2) 60Gb minimum storage
4) IP control
5) IP file access

The "nice to haves":

3) 1 ru

Thanks!

You may want to look at something like the NCast systems.  They offer some really cool capabilities.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 11:35:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.