ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HS Baseball Field  (Read 15750 times)

Isaac Imig

Re: HS Baseball Field
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »

It is true that many people and organizations are totally disassociated from the real costs of a project. I do my best to educate but this particular "project" has no wiggle room *at this time*.

The budget although terribly slim is including all infrastructure and installation materials such as rack and wiring.

I think there is some confusion about the layout of this project. This is not a stadium. It is a High School base ball field with stands that seat maybe 50 people and cover about 40 ft of linear space behind home plate. This is the coverage area that will be covered with EVID 6.2T units. These units will be no farther than 25 ft from the farthest listeners. In addition to this there is the field which will be covered by (2) EV ZX5 which are a weatherproof 15" two-way. They have frequency response to 39hz -10db and 132db of output. Even though they are two different coverage areas the frequency response of the ZX5 units will be present in both coverage areas.

I appreciate all the warnings but I have full reason to believe this will turn out to exceed the user's expectations. Certainly will sound better than paging horns which is what they have now and have not used for 5+ years. I will get some pictures up when it materializes and maybe it will make more sense to everybody.

Abdul EQ

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 11:39:57 PM »

He's back!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:42:13 PM by AbdulEQ »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 01:20:52 AM »

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 06:51:06 AM »

Welcome back, Abdul!
Agreed-his comments are always "interesting"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 07:38:18 AM »

He's back!

.... but as a "Newbie".

I am certain that a very small number of Abdul's wisdom-laden posts will expedite his elevation to the status he so richly deserves.

(why does the tip of my nose now possess the aroma of fresh camel dung ?)

Welcom HOME, Abdul !!!!
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 08:01:02 AM »

I appreciate all the warnings but I have full reason to believe this will turn out to exceed the user's expectations. Certainly will sound better than paging horns which is what they have now and have not used for 5+ years. I will get some pictures up when it materializes and maybe it will make more sense to everybody.
You seem intent on proceeding with your approach regardless of anything offered however please keep in mind that while it may not be a stadium, this is also not background music for a restaurant's or residence's deck.  I have designed numerous sound systems for high school and community baseball and football fields and can't think of a case where intelligibility of announcements for the crowd was not the highest priority or where coverage of the field for music was a low, if not the lowest, priority and thus I'm not convinced the result will necessarily be better than the existing paging horns, just different.

And welcome back Abdul!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Abdul's return
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 08:23:12 AM »

He's back!

And his post count has been updated to reflect Abdul's previous visits from the shifting sands.

Mac
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:58:12 AM by Mac Kerr »

Isaac Imig

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 06:28:44 PM »

It does seem like I am not accepting anybody's advice, but the advice given so far doesn't seem coherent with the reason I originally came here. I have 2 primary objectives: to determine the mic form factor (which somebody gave input on and I will use a very similar unit from Shure) and to determine whether to use modest output weatherized speakers or to use high output weatherized speakers.

The real numbers are $5000, 90-95db on occasion, frequency response to maybe 50hz, and coverage of a triangle that is approximately 300 ft on two sides, however the vast majority of the usage will be a 90x90 square that makes up the bases.

Paging horns are out of the question because music trumps uniformity and intelligibility, but I would be open to any other suggestions that would maximize the situation on this shoestring budget.

The stands are not part of the equation as they will have great uniformity and the layout lends itself to a very controlled, easy to manage installation.

Thomas Harkin

• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Re: Abdul's return
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 06:35:19 PM »

And his post count has been updated to reflect Abdul's previous visits from the shifting sands.

Mac
Moderator Magic!  I like it.

P.S. Thanks for taking care of this place, Mac.

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 06:41:49 PM »

It is true that many people and organizations are totally disassociated from the real costs of a project. I do my best to educate but this particular "project" has no wiggle room *at this time*.

The budget although terribly slim is including all infrastructure and installation materials such as rack and wiring.

I think there is some confusion about the layout of this project. This is not a stadium. It is a High School base ball field with stands that seat maybe 50 people and cover about 40 ft of linear space behind home plate. This is the coverage area that will be covered with EVID 6.2T units. These units will be no farther than 25 ft from the farthest listeners. In addition to this there is the field which will be covered by (2) EV ZX5 which are a weatherproof 15" two-way. They have frequency response to 39hz -10db and 132db of output. Even though they are two different coverage areas the frequency response of the ZX5 units will be present in both coverage areas.

I am generally EV biased but a ZX5 won't do 132dB no how no way. The careful reader will notice that EV clearly states that is the calculated maximum output. I understand why EV feels they have to publish such specs for products competing in segments of the market where all the competition is doing likewise but I don't agree with the practice. The physics of power compression can not be avoided with conventional drivers no matter what the calculations might indicate as the maximum SPL.

I have never measured ZX5 in-situ but I have measured SX500+ and ZX1 quite extensively. The calculated maximum SPL on the SX500+ is 132dB as well based on sensitivity of 100dB SPL with 1 Watt at 1 Meter and a 1600 watt peak power rating. I have never measured anything over 128 dB fast C and they can be unpleasant to listen to if run full range above 125dB fast C. ZX1 have a 123 calculated maximum SPL I have never seen more than 118 dB fast C but they sound okay being run that hard as long as they are high passed at or above 80Hz. I would bet a ZX5 will actually peak about like the SX500+ at around 128dB one can only speculate about whether or not they would be listenable at that level running full range.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 06:41:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.