ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wich PA to buy? Danley Sounds Lab or Other Speakers  (Read 40025 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Wich PA to buy? Danley Sounds Lab or Other Speakers
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »

I'm shocked :o  an inconclusive listening test...  Throw out the outlier (who picked one) and move on.

Amplifiers operated in their linear range (i.e. properly sized and rated for the application) should sound indistinguishable from each other.   QED

Not to mention the elephant in the room, loudspeakers (even Danley's) are not as linear as modern power amplifiers.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »

I'm shocked :o  an inconclusive listening test...  Throw out the outlier (who picked one) and move on.

Amplifiers operated in their linear range (i.e. properly sized and rated for the application) should sound indistinguishable from each other.   QED

Not to mention the elephant in the room, loudspeakers (even Danley's) are not as linear as modern power amplifiers.

JR
Yeah there is no way I would choose one over the other based on the listening test we did.

I "think" the only reason some chose B-was because when the went to B-we heard a "change" but when we went back to A- we did not hear a change.  I can't explain that-except maybe the way the switch was acting.

Agreed that loudspeakers are without a doubt the worst piece of gear in the whole signal chain-BY FAR.

But we did use the same loudspeaker for the tests-so the only variable was the amp and yes the gains were matched by measurement.

We just did it as a test to see IF we could tell a difference.

No we did not run the amps full tilt-as that would get into non linear operation-and then all sorts of things change.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21:36 AM »

Yes they are not in general production-but they do exist-and work well. 

I will not go into "details" about the amp- but we did some blind listening tests with some other well regarded/respected amps and the results were very interesting.  One of our testers (all have a good set of ears-not general people) walked out after less than a minute.

I built a switcher that would switch different amps into the same loudspeaker.

He asked me to switch it to the other amp-and I said "I have already switched it several times".  He said he did not even know I had switched it-and said there was no need for further listening as far as he was concerned.

One other listener brought some tracks/noises etc that he uses to "show the nasty stuff' in an amp.  He could not tell a difference.

We just called the amps (A and B) and neither the person doing the switching nor the listeners knew which was which.  When it was over I asked "Which do you think was better-or could you tell a difference-or if you HAD to pick one-which one would it be?"

The only guy who would "choose" said B.  I asked him if he wanted to know which one that was-he was not sure if he wanted to know-as he was not sure of his answer-because it was so close.

When we traced it down-it was the Peavey.  And believe me-he REALLY wanted to hear a difference-and not in the way he chose.

Ivan, what switch did you use that allowed you to use the same speaker with 2 separate amps. I have use for something like this.
Thanks,
BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21:36 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.