ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alcohol Free Clubs?  (Read 9630 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Alcohol Free Clubs?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »

The last time I visited such an establishment,

Was that back when the Can-can was big and all they did was show their ankles?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »

In the early 90s I worked for a largish and highly successful club that regularly brought in national alternative acts.  It was a huge success UNTIL the owner gave up the beer-only license for the upstairs performance space to get a beer/liquor license for the downstairs restaurant.  Even though we still had acohol revenues (which should have increased due to the addtion of liquor), within 6 months the place folded.  The lack of alcohol in the performance space absolutely killed the entire business.  Luckily for me, that's when the touring started.  Luckily for the owner, he found some fool to sell the dying business to (based upon the past 2 years' receipts).  Not so lucky for the new owners - they lost it all.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

Was that back when the Can-can was big and all they did was show their ankles?
Not can-can, just can, and I think there may have been some stretch marks down around her ankles.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Nick Simon

• Dark Side of the Moon, MS
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 01:35:26 PM »

Not can-can, just can, and I think there may have been some stretch marks down around her ankles.

JR

JJ's?  everything's a dollar!   ;D

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »

JJ's?  everything's a dollar!   ;D
It was so long ago and only one time so I don't recall the name... but it was down on A street past plant 3 and heading out toward Service.

As few entertainment choices that might exist in the middle of MS this place was not worth searching out once, let alone twice. The local economy wouldn't support much talent and it was apparent we didn't get what we didn't pay for.  :P

There was a real (almost famous.. "Ma ___") whore house further out in the county that I recall visiting once for a bachelor party. I gave the groom his wedding present in cash that night, partly to help myself resist temptation by getting rid of any excess cash in my pocket.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Nick Simon

• Dark Side of the Moon, MS
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »

It was so long ago and only one time so I don't recall the name... but it was down on A street past plant 3 and heading out toward Service.

As few entertainment choices that might exist in the middle of MS this place was not worth searching out once, let alone twice. The local economy wouldn't support much talent and it was apparent we didn't get what we didn't pay for.  :P

There was a real (almost famous.. "Ma ___") whore house further out in the county that I recall visiting once for a bachelor party. I gave the groom his wedding present in cash that night, partly to help myself resist temptation by getting rid of any excess cash in my pocket.

JR

Russell St.     I had a couple fun nights there, well, if you didn't mind a few stretch marks and a few missing teeth, etc....   in a past life, and somewhat fond memories of "Dang, why'd I do that?" 8)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 07:19:31 AM »

Strippers hate it when you tip them in dollar coins....
Similar problem in Canada with the $2 coins...especially in the winter :o

I really like the OPs idea but have to agree with the fact that it's a tough go.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »

There's probably 6 or 7 coffee shops in the downtown area.

Maybe start or get involved with a music program at one of these. In my early years of sound I worked at a coffeehouse type venue, for very little money since I was pretty green and still learning a lot. It was a tips-only no-cover venue that hosted mostly local/younger acts. What they lacked in skill they often made up for by bringing in their friends. Somewhat more established acts could bring a capacity crowd, and a couple trips around with the tip jar could make it very worthwhile. Sometimes touring acts would drop in and do a show on short notice to promote a bigger one booked nearby (but watch out for exclusion clauses).

In other words, let someone else do the hard work and take the big risks while you focus on the music.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.