ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging Choir Mics  (Read 8892 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Hanging Choir Mics
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »

I was just asked to recommend some new choir mics for a church(same one I just installed a x32 in). A quick search on Musicians Friend showed a couple of models that might work; one is a Peavey the other is an Audio-Technica. There were some other AT mics listed but they were $170ea instead of $70-80 ea; are the more expensive ones that much better? Are there any other brands that I haven't mentioned. In the $100ea range? Here are the 2 I'm thinking about. We are buying 2 to hang over the choir; I believe the ones we are replacing are Peaveys.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audio-technica-pro-45-cardioid-condenser-hanging-mic

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-vcm-3-choir-mic#

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thomas Lamb

Re: Hanging Choir Mics
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »

You get what you pay for! Especially with microphones!! IMHO you need to spend a little more especially on a choir mic. My go to mangling choir mic is the AT853RU I am able to get really good GBF and it sounds good too. That mic along with the parametric s in the console should produce good results. There are other mics that are good too. That's just the one that seems to work great for me every time. My big thing is I just think you need to spend a little more cash to get good results in this category.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Hanging Choir Mics
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »

You get what you pay for! Especially with microphones!! IMHO you need to spend a little more especially on a choir mic. My go to mangling choir mic is the AT853RU I am able to get really good GBF and it sounds good too. That mic along with the parametric s in the console should produce good results. There are other mics that are good too. That's just the one that seems to work great for me every time. My big thing is I just think you need to spend a little more cash to get good results in this category.

Great to know, just the kind of info I was looking for. I'm pretty sure the more expensive ones I mentioned were the AT835RUs. I'll take a close look at them and find out if they want to spend that much on some; I said $100 just as a reference point because I haven't gotten a budget yet(and to keep the very expensive mics out of the discussion).

Edit: They are U853RUs and there are several variations of this mic with changing letters that follow the number. It appears that the "U" after the number decides whether it's a long or short mic; does this affect the directivity and off-axis rejection?

Thanks,
Tommy Peel

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:31:30 AM by Tommy Peel »

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:02:19 PM »

Great to know, just the kind of info I was looking for. I'm pretty sure the more expensive ones I mentioned were the AT835RUs. I'll take a close look at them and find out if they want to spend that much on some; I said $100 just as a reference point because I haven't gotten a budget yet(and to keep the very expensive mics out of the discussion).

Edit: They are U853RUs and there are several variations of this mic with changing letters that follow the number. It appears that the "U" after the number decides whether it's a long or short mic; does this affect the directivity and off-axis rejection?

Thanks,
Tommy Peel

I've used both. I only like the U (uniline) it does have a tighter patern. I think it has better rejection than its counterpart and sounds better!
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »

I've used both. I only like the U (uniline) it does have a tighter patern. I think it has better rejection than its counterpart and sounds better!

Thanks, I was just wondering because the price was about the same and the AT website offered little information to easily differentiate the models.

How high above the choir do you recommend hanging them? The ones in there now are positioned above and slightly in front of the front pew and there are 3 pews front to back each maybe 6 inches higher than the one in front of it(think stair stepped).

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:42 AM »

I was just asked to recommend some new choir mics for a church(same one I just installed a x32 in). A quick search on Musicians Friend showed a couple of models that might work; one is a Peavey the other is an Audio-Technica. There were some other AT mics listed but they were $170ea instead of $70-80 ea; are the more expensive ones that much better? Are there any other brands that I haven't mentioned. In the $100ea range? Here are the 2 I'm thinking about. We are buying 2 to hang over the choir; I believe the ones we are replacing are Peaveys.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audio-technica-pro-45-cardioid-condenser-hanging-mic

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-vcm-3-choir-mic#

Perhaps one should start by asking, "why does the church wants to replace the units they already have?". If their answer is "insufficient gain before feedback" or "AM radio interference" then it is likely none of the low cost options will be satisfactory. I like Astatic 1600VP, Crown CM30, EV CH230 and Countryman Isomax they are however all different and none of them is the right solution for every space.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »

Perhaps one should start by asking, "why does the church wants to replace the units they already have?". If their answer is "insufficient gain before feedback" or "AM radio interference" then it is likely none of the low cost options will be satisfactory. I like Astatic 1600VP, Crown CM30, EV CH230 and Countryman Isomax they are however all different and none of them is the right solution for every space.

One of the current mics is defective; I thinks it's making a kind of hissing noise that bugs the pastor(although it isn't very loud). I tried plugging the mic into a different jack(and therefore different channel on the mixer and snake) on the stage and the noise followed the mic; they've asked me to recommend(and probably help order) replacements for both. The current gain before feedback has been sufficient for our purposes; the mics are fairly far behind the main speakers and they don't run anything very loud at all(but the choir does need reinforcement because of the size and acoustics of the auditorium).

Thanks,
Tommy

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »

One of the current mics is defective; I thinks it's making a kind of hissing noise that bugs the pastor(although it isn't very loud). I tried plugging the mic into a different jack(and therefore different channel on the mixer and snake) on the stage and the noise followed the mic; they've asked me to recommend(and probably help order) replacements for both. The current gain before feedback has been sufficient for our purposes; the mics are fairly far behind the main speakers and they don't run anything very loud at all(but the choir does need reinforcement because of the size and acoustics of the auditorium).

Thanks,
Tommy

If Peaveys have met the need then any general use choir mic should be fine. I think the only decent sounding value priced choir mics are the JTS CM-502.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

The Cad CM100 should be given some consideration. 

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Hanging Choir Mics
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »

If Peaveys have met the need then any general use choir mic should be fine. I think the only decent sounding value priced choir mics are the JTS CM-502.

I like the price of these better... Less than half the price of the AT mics mentioned above(which probably are better but may be overkill for our application). We're definitely not in a situation where we need to have a ton of gain out of them, just enough to get a moderate volume boost.

My only concern is that they are super cardioid; will this be a problem getting then to pickup everyone(as in will they be too directional)? What is a typical optimum height to mount them?

I'll also take a look at the CAD mic.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Re: Hanging Choir Mics
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.