ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Souns system for drums  (Read 18713 times)

David Parker

Re: Building Souns system for drums
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 11:57:41 AM »

when I have my sound man hat on, my first response to drum racks is, "it takes up too much space". Experience has taught me that the opposite is true. Rack systems for acoustic drums actually save space because of the lack of cymbal stands, among other reasons. I would welcome any drummer on a small stage to bring in a rack system.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »

here's a non-typical church drum setup. This isn't a joke, the pastor plays drums.

Wow, didn't realise Nicko McBrain took up the ministry...  ;)

JonDunlap

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »

Maybe my first concern should be the monitoring situation. Seeing how I can't get the leader of the band to help me out, I guess I am going to have to try something on my own. Now, when we practice at the Church, I get a monitor but it only has vocals in it. Let's say I wanted my kick drum and snare in their also. What would be the best way to get that? A friend of mine suggested taking my moniotr feed and putting it through my board, and then running a monitor feed from my board to my monitor which would allow me to assign what exactly I put through my monitor? 2 questions. 1. Does it sound like this would work & 2. The feed coming to my moniotr now comes from a power amp, can I plug that into a non-powered board? That's probably a very rookie question but that's where my knowledge is at.

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 06:31:55 PM »

Maybe my first concern should be the monitoring situation. Seeing how I can't get the leader of the band to help me out, I guess I am going to have to try something on my own. Now, when we practice at the Church, I get a monitor but it only has vocals in it. Let's say I wanted my kick drum and snare in their also. What would be the best way to get that? A friend of mine suggested taking my moniotr feed and putting it through my board, and then running a monitor feed from my board to my monitor which would allow me to assign what exactly I put through my monitor? 2 questions. 1. Does it sound like this would work & 2. The feed coming to my moniotr now comes from a power amp, can I plug that into a non-powered board? That's probably a very rookie question but that's where my knowledge is at.

Although headphones have been mentioned, I am surprised nobody has suggested IEMs.  Is there a reason IEMs would not work for you?

One way to do what you want would be to run the powered monitor feed being supplied to you into a D.I. box (one that will take a speaker-level signal) and put that into one channel of your mixer.  Then put your drum mics into other channels and mix to taste in your IEM rig.

Added note: when playing bigger gigs with supplied SR, you can still use this setup by adding Y cables to your mic lines, splitting each drum signal, for you and for FOH.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »

We play mostly outside concerts ...

Based on this new information, I retract my recommendation for the Roland PM-30.  Probably not loud enough for an outdoor Christian rock concert.
Mark McFarlane

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »

Now, when we practice at the Church, I get a monitor but it only has vocals in it. Let's say I wanted my kick drum and snare in their also. What would be the best way to get that?
Ask the ME (that's Monitor Engineer) for it.  If there's no engineer-type available (since it's practice), try adding the desired channels into your particular AUX that feeds the drum monitor.  When playing the outside shows, isn't there a provided PA?  If so, communicating your needs with the ME (or FOH guy/gal if they're mixing the wedges) will go a long way to getting what you desire.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tomm Williams

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »

Reading your post's I have to ask, is the stage volume quite high? I just cannot imagine a drummer who can't hear his own snare, there must be something else going on here.

duane massey

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »

Late to the party (kinda glad, really) but here's my suggestions. It seems your biggest issue concerns hearing yourself in rehearsal and small shows where you use your own PA. You already have a small mixer and a power amp, so get a single 15" monitor or something similar and make yourself happy. A butt-kicker or similar might also be a good option. Leave all this stuff home when you play larger shows shere you have professional sound guys/equipment.
As far as drummers and their snare drums, I have played with many drummers who DO have loud snare drums and do whack them really, really hard, but I have also worked with drummers who have quiet snares and don't play very loudly. You might fall into this category, which is perfectly fine. Just don't get into a competition with the other musicians, and do not play louder than you are comfortable with, as you will suffer for this now and later.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Building Souns system for drums
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »

I played local <200 cap clubs a bit as a drummer a few years back - white stripes type rock so it was loud - and I never had trouble hearing my own acoustic drums. In the bigger clubs some maybe I asked for some kick. This is in rock clubs....

It just seems unreasonable to need to monitor acoustic drums in a small band where the PA is mostly vocals only-size. I second the above question - why can't you hear them? Is everything else very loud? I also second the other question - someone sent you vocals in that monitor.... why can't they send you drums? I'm have trouble understanding what brought you to the forum.

Give us a little more info, because right now it doesn't make much sense.

JonDunlap

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »

Duane, first off, I'm sorry the post is all over the place and hard to keep up with, I am not that experienced with nay of this and i'm sure that makes it very frustrating to people who are as fluent in it as yourself and the others who are trying to help out. Believer me, that's not me being sarcastic, I understand that trying to help someone who has no idea what they are talking about is very frustrating.
   I like what you have suggested here and it actually is right along with what I have been thinking. I've never played with a butt kicker but my consider trying it out. As far as the comment about playing loud or not, that is exactly what i am trying to get away from, I don't like to be one of thise drummers who beat there drums with baseball bats to make a whole bucnh of noise, I actually want to play softer so I can build my hand speed a little more but feel like I have to play really hard just to hear myself.
     Thanks for the advice and patience.....i appreciate everyone's help.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:31:37 PM by JonDunlap »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.