ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Distance From Festival Stage to FOH Desk  (Read 15994 times)

Rob McClellan

Distance From Festival Stage to FOH Desk
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:50:22 PM »

I am in the fortunate position to have a permanent festival stage built on site. We want to also build a permanent FOH mixing/lighting position. QUESTION: What distance is recommended from the front of stage to the mixing desk? We won't have permanent audio installed, so acts/production co's. will run a snake.

Is 50 feet too close?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Distance From Festival Stage to FOH Desk
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:58:14 PM »

I am in the fortunate position to have a permanent festival stage built on site. We want to also build a permanent FOH mixing/lighting position. QUESTION: What distance is recommended from the front of stage to the mixing desk? We won't have permanent audio installed, so acts/production co's. will run a snake.

Is 50 feet too close?

Read the rules, fix your display name

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:27:55 AM »

Is 50 feet too close?

It completely depends on the size of the event. A general rule is to place the FoH desk at 2/3 of the distance from the stage to the farthest listener.
50 feet is two third of 75' (yes, really). If the audience is on a 75' square and assuming there are 4 square feet per member, the total audience is roughly 1500 people (could be 1000, could be 2000). Does it correspond to what you estimate ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:33:10 AM by Nicolas Poisson »

Josh Hana

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:36:18 AM »

I would say 50' is probably too close unless you're doing a fairly small show. We usually aim for 75' from the downstage edge as a rule of thumb. Most national riders we come across specify about 75' as well.

John Penkala

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »

Is 50 feet too close?

How far apart are the main L/R speaker arrays?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »

+1

Most frequently requested distance is ~75 feet from apron/front fills/PA.  We had a couple last summer that specified "under 85 feet".

I would say 50' is probably too close unless you're doing a fairly small show. We usually aim for 75' from the downstage edge as a rule of thumb. Most national riders we come across specify about 75' as well.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »

I would rather be too close than too far. I just love having to walk 50 ft to get hear what the crowd as hearing.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »

Is 50 feet too close?
Be sure to have a good path for them to get their snakes through.  A trench with removable covers is nice.  If you put in conduit-be sure it is large enough (6" is a MINIMUM) with a pull rope.  It is also a good idea to put some drain tubes out the bottom so water doesn't collect. 

It is nice to have some local outlets at FOH for various little things that need to get plugged in-maybe even not part of the sound system "stuff".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »

Be sure to have a good path for them to get their snakes through.  A trench with removable covers is nice.  If you put in conduit-be sure it is large enough (6" is a MINIMUM) with a pull rope.  It is also a good idea to put some drain tubes out the bottom so water doesn't collect. 

It is nice to have some local outlets at FOH for various little things that need to get plugged in-maybe even not part of the sound system "stuff".

Conduit:  6" minimum, 8" is better.  Use the heavy-duty stuff, not the drainage gauge.  You want the "sewer pipe".  And run two or more.

As for the drainage, make sure it is graded to run off any moisture that gets in.  A "Tee" at either end into a sump or catch-bucket is good.  You can simply pump out anything that collects.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

EvanKirkendall

• Personal Text?
    • Evan Kirkendall
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »

Is 50 feet too close?

I've been 65' from the PA, and I've been 300 feet from the PA at festivals. All depends on the capacities. As long as I'm in front of the delay lines and where the majority of the crowd is, I'm happy.

Evan
HarfordSound LLC
HarfordSound Facebook

-Your friendly neighborhood dealer for everything!-

*Voted most destructive on mids, 2006*
*Most low end at a rock show, 5 years running*

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.