ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Best DAW for Live Recordings  (Read 30121 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Best DAW for Live Recordings
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »

Looking like Reaper is "winning" so far but I'll be checking int the other options too.

I moved from Cakewalk to Reaper last year and will never go back.  I won't consider ProTools for one big reason: the lack of "offline bounce", especially for live recordings.

To answer the question about splitting up songs... In Reaper, you can define regions for each song and name them and when you export, you can have Reaper render the regions and name the tracks according to region (and region number if desired). 

It's also helpful to create snapshots for each song to save the mixes.  When you're finished mixing each song and saving the snapshots, you can queue each of them up to render and then go grab a drink while the whole project renders.

Thanks for info on splitting songs; sounds like the procedure I've been using with Ardour although I haven't tried the snapshot feature. I'm guessing that with snapshots will allow me to setup different plugins for each song(by using a separate snapshot for each)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
Re: Best DAW for Live Recordings
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »

I'll add my +1 for Reaper as a good DAW, but also say that I much prefer my HD24 over any computer based system for live recording.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »

Thanks for info on splitting songs; sounds like the procedure I've been using with Ardour although I haven't tried the snapshot feature. I'm guessing that with snapshots will allow me to setup different plugins for each song(by using a separate snapshot for each)?

The Snapshots feature of Reaper saves the FX chains as well as many other things.  What it saves can be configured (like everything else in Reaper).

Also, download and install the SWS Extensions.  They are very helpful. http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/

What it's missing is a way to recall a particular snapshot when a region starts.  If this were possible, the render operation would be 2 clicks for the whole project.  The SWS extensions provide something similar but it only seems to work when playing back, not when rendering.  I haven't dug into that extensively though so there may be a way to do what I describe.

Does anyone else have suggestions for mixing & rendering a multi-song live recording in Reaper?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

I'll add my +1 for Reaper as a good DAW, but also say that I much prefer my HD24 over any computer based system for live recording.

I've been talking about using Reaper for mixdown but to be clear, I also use an HD24 for the live tracking.  You can't beat the reliability of a piece of dedicated hardware.  I feed it via ADAT from my Yamaha LS9.

I imagine that in the future, I will have to move to something different as many new digital mixers are lacking in ADAT I/O but include some type of audio networking (Dante, AES50, etc).

I believe the OP was really just asking about post, not about live tracking though.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »

Another + for Reaper. I mix down post show and its great.
Douglas R. Allen

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »

I've been talking about using Reaper for mixdown but to be clear, I also use an HD24 for the live tracking.  You can't beat the reliability of a piece of dedicated hardware.  I feed it via ADAT from my Yamaha LS9.

I imagine that in the future, I will have to move to something different as many new digital mixers are lacking in ADAT I/O but include some type of audio networking (Dante, AES50, etc).

I believe the OP was really just asking about post, not about live tracking though.

I was mainly interested in the post recording software. I'm sure that an HD24 works great and is much more reliable than a laptop, but I can't afford an HD24 right now and already have a laptop that's essentially dedicated to doing the recordings(I have a separate hard drive that I use in my old laptop that has Ubuntu Studio installed on it that I use just for recordings; so far it's been rock solid although it's a bit of a pain to use). I have that laptop plugged into the the mixer's firewire card(which outputs each channel and the stereo main mix); on the recording rig I use Ardour(which seems to be much more stable in Ubuntu that OSX) to make a multitrack recording which I copy to my Mac via ethernet when I get home. I think some of my stability issues on the Mac are related to Jack because when Ardour crashes Jack does too; I'm sure Reaper will be a much better solution.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Best DAW for Live Recordings
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »

I used to use a HD24 with my LS9. I did like the appliance like operation.
What I didn't like was how much work it was to get the recordings on to a computer. The Alesis tools were crude at best an not supported since a long time ago. I did use HD24Tools for a couple of years which was better but was still the gating item of time to get to work on mix down. I also did not like using the consumer grade toslink cables.

I replaced my ADAT MY cards with Dante cards and sold the HD24. I now can record on my MBP (MacBook) direct into Reaper and stick markers in during the recording.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

George Dougherty

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »

I'm a staunch PC guy using Adobe Audition. Love it..it's worked great for years. I can record multitrack direct to my little netbook running Windows XP.

I was you, before I found Reaper ;)  I got tired of the hundred dollar plus upgrades and the recording capabilities are significantly better.  It's not as good of a destructive editor as Audition, but there's not much I can do destructively in Audition that can't be done non-destructively in Reaper.  I was a die hard user up to version 3.0 and an hour with Reaper made me a solid convert.  Not to mention I bought in back when it was only $40 (now a staggering $60 for small studio/private use) and I'm still on my 2 version update allocation.  I'll have to spend another $60 when they eventually get to version 5.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:50 PM »

Another Reaper fan ;)

I also use Adobe Audition ..... but only for noise removal, normalization, and creating MP3's out of my final mix.

I record live with a Zoom R16 (my band has vDrums so 8 tracks is more than enough).

Love Reaper.

If you want a sweet sounding VST reverb for it, find the SIR impulse reverb.  There are a bunch of impulse files for it and it really sounds very nice IMHO.

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 02:57:44 AM »

+ ? on Reaper.

I use it to record on a PC near the console. Then I transfer the files on a USB key and edit the stuff on my Mac at home. I never had any bug nor any crash during recordings for almost two years.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 02:57:44 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.